AT&T upgrade for upcoming iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Speedracer04, May 28, 2009.

1. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about how AT&T will handle current iPhone customers who will want to upgrade to the latest iPhone this summer?

Can we sell our current phone and then just stroll into an Apple store and buy a new iPhone, replacing the old one? Even though we are only 1 year through our 2 year contract?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Or, you can read the thousands of posts on this topic already...

No one knows, we all are really guessing until AT&T makes an official announcement.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It will work just like any *subsidized* phone from AT&T. If you bought the 3G phone last summer you will need to wait about another year to get it for $199. Otherwise if you are in the middle of your 2yr contract so you can get one for the unsubsidized price which will probably be $500+

Just look at the current upgrade policy. I don't think they will make special exceptions for iPhone users.

4. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Most likely you would be eligible for early upgrade which would not be the full unsubsidized price, but still higher than the $199 price.

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Whoa, kimosabi. They have not even announced a new phone yet.

If you are only 1 year through a 2 year contract that means you most likely will not be able to get a subsidized price. I would bet that they would be willing to sell it to your for full price though.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Are you kidding? With AT&T's exclusivity ending in 2010 (or even 2011, it's irrelevant) they are going to want to add on as many new iPhone users (Including extensions for current iPhone users) as possible. So no way will they make it $500+ for a phone for loyal customers.

I have no doubt that AT&T is willing to take on a loss initially by subsidizing phones for everyone, but in the long run with their extremely high plan costs they will still make millions.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Exactly.

I'm 1 year into my iPhone plan which will unlock me in 2010. AT&T would LOVE for me to extend that plan and lock me in even longer than 2010. I'm betting they'll do whatever they can to make it happen.

What that means, I don't know, but I strongly doubt that my only choice will be "full price iPhone."

(My guess: I can pay $100 over the subsidized price + I add 1 extra year on my contract taking me to 2011 before I'm free. But that's just a guess.)

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Your guess is wrong, try $200 over the price of a fully susidized iPhone. Also try the fact that AT&T has already subsidized your current model and it makes PERFECT business sense not to subsidize another one for you.

AGAIN, as I have said before....

For all of you who think AT&T will offer a GREAT deal and subsidize the new iPhone for you when they already did for your 3G, let me know when you start a business so I know where NOT to invest my money!!!!!!!

9. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Well said, I completely agree. Before somebody says it, this time will be different because the first generation iPhone was unsubsidised, so they allowed early upgrades and a lower price than full retail when the 3G came out.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My plan would cost AT&T $200 or $300 and gain them $1,000.

If you can't see the value in that then I don't really know how else to explain it.

11. bjquach macrumors 6502

You never know. Apple and AT&T might have something planned this time around

12. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

If there is a new iphone, I'm pretty sure Apple wants everybody to run and buy it, Apple or at&t do not want lose out on any business. We will all find out soon enough what they are going to let us do or not do. :D

13. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Whatever it is, I hope they let us do it at home instead of the royal PITA that was the iPhone 3G launch.

14. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

And why when they already have you in for giving them $1,000+ now over the term of your contract. They'll collect more from you when they finally allow you to upgrade.

Also, don't get me wrong, I do believe iPhone 3G owners after a certain period of time 12-15 months will be able to upgrade at the "early" upgrade pricing which is $200 more than the fully subsidized price. Some, depending on their account, will be able to upgrade at the fully subsidized price.

Trust me, I would love for 3G owners to get the fully subsidized price! That would mean that *IF* I so chose, I could get a new iPhone every year at the discounted price. I just don't think that's going to happen.

15. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand they are making payments on their 3G iphone with their monthly AT&T billings.

If your in good standing with AT&T you should be able to get a subsidized upgrade at 18 months into your 2 year contract.

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yep which is December of 09 according to my current "upgrade eligibility".

Or I can get one now for $399/$499 ... I expect this to be the same with the new phone.

17. amrusch2 macrumors member

Why are you sticking up for AT&T?!

haha

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't think you understood his post.

19. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I'm not taking up for anyone. Just stating the facts.

20. crunchymilk55 macrumors member

Has anyone checked their upgrade eligibility? Maybe I'm just reading too far into this, but...

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 07/12/2009 "

Does everyone else say this?

21. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

exactly, since my bill is so high every month i get to upgrade at the 12 month mark, 7/12 woooohoooooo

and to all the other post...

an "early" upgrade price applies to all phones except the iphone.

the full cost att pays for the iphone 3G (yes i used to work there) is 8GB-$574 and 16GB-$674, for each and every single one, so taking a hit of over $300 is not going to happen each year my friends.

we all know good and well apple will keep cooking out a new iphone each year, so yea even if exclusivity ends 2010, it probably wont be on another carrier till july 2011, and so everyone will once again get the 2010 iphone and be locked in till 2012... or i will at least.

22. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

ATT currently offers the iPhone 3G early (as in middle of your contract) for the subsidized contract. You just have to sign up for an additional 2 years when getting the new phone.

23. aluren macrumors 65816

i also agree that they'll give us 3G people a discount but it would cost more than the subsidized price. Subsidizing is to attract customers from other networks and it's a price ATT is willing to pay to lock customers from verizon, t-mobile, sprint, etc to two year contracts. once they lock you in, they don't care about you anymore (until your contract is almost up). i think for us with 3G it'll be 399 for 16gb and 499 for 32gb.

24. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

An easy way to see, just dial *639# from your keypad. AT&T will send a text message with your elgibilty. I purchased my iPhone 3G last July when the came out at it reads that I am not elgible for a standard handset or iPhone upgrade at this time. But I can do an iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-year commitment and $18 upgrade fee. Not sure what the fee is though.

25. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes, but from what I have read on these forums, people don't understand the difference between "you may be able to upgrade early at a higher price" and "You are eligible for a fully discounted new phone."