AT&T upgrade policy

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WestonHarvey1, Oct 15, 2012.

1. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

So, I've been Googling for an answer to what seemed like a simple question - and don't really feel like going on hold with AT&T for an hour if someone has a quick answer.

When you're up for a free upgrade to the iPhone 5, *which* one are you eligible for? Is it only the lowest model (16GB), or is it based on what you bought last time?

I have a 32GB iPhone 4, does that mean I'm eligible for a 32GB 5?

2. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

3. ProudLoz macrumors regular

When you're up for an "upgrade" you are eligible for any phone as long as you pay for it and you also sign a 2 year contract. There's no such thing as a "free" upgrade unless you're getting those phones that AT&T will give you for free if you sign up for a 2 year contract.

4. WestonHarvey1 thread starter macrumors 68020

This doesn't really answer my question. I realize that I have to sign a new 2 year contract, and pay the $36 upgrade fee. My question is which storage option does that include, without having to pay anything extra.

----------

That doesn't seem correct. Then it seems everyone would buy lowest storage device one time, and then request the highest storage one every time they were eligible.

5. ProudLoz macrumors regular

I think you're getting confused here. The iPhone 5 is not free at all with a 2 year contract, it's subsidized on all carriers. The only free iPhone model out there is the iPhone 4 8GB model I believe.

To get the iPhone 5 you'll have to pay up $200, $300, or $400 for 16 GBs, 32 GBs, or 64 GBs, respectively with a 2 year contract.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think you get it. There is no FREE upgrade. You still have to pay for the phone. What do you mean pay extra?
    You can pick any storage amount you want.
    That's your decision. But the higher the storage the more expensive the device is. $199 for the 16GB iphone 5 model, $299 for the 32GB and $399 for the 64GB. Those prices are all with a 2 year contract.
    Get it now?

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're eligilbe for a "full upgrade", then iPhones are:
    $199 - 16GB
    $299 - 32GB
    $399 - 64GB

If you're not eliiglbe for a "full upgrade" (i.e. you're only one year into a two year contract), you can usually get a "partial upgrade":
    $449 - 16GB
    $549 - 32GB
    $649 - 64GB

If you're not eligible for any upgrade (or choose not to use one), then the iPhones are:
    $649 - 16GB
    $749 - 32GB
    $849 - 64GB

8. WestonHarvey1 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah. I don't know why I thought that. I think I was confused by the text messages from AT&T - the "full" upgrade message suddenly stops mentioning the price.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, would be really nice if we got the iphone 5 for free:D