At&T Upgrade Question for new iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Habitus, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Hey all,

I purchased a 3G iPhone in August of 2009.

I am determined to purchase a new iPhone (when they become available, of course) and I contacted At&T about any fees assoicated with upgrading due to my recent 3g iPhone purchase.

The At&T rep told me that the 16GB iPhone would be $399 (third-tier pricing) because of my recent 3G iPhone purchase and that she couldn't offer the phone at the retail $199 price. I asked to speak to a manager and he (in a very rude tone and tried telling me that Apple will release a new iPhone next year) gave me the same answer: they cannot offer me the new iPhone at the $199 price.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? If so, did you find a way to receive the $199 pricing? What did you say to receive that pricing?

Thanks in advance,

Habitus :apple:

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

If you are not eligible, you most likely will not be. They already have you as a customer, so they can not lose you unless you pay to get out. (In which case, they still make money off of you.) They are not going to budge on this, so you are either going to have to pay it or skip it. You can try to sell or trade-in your current iPhone to make up for the difference.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You are not eligible for that pricing. Simple as that

This is why they make you sign contracts to get subsidized phones. You do qualify for a reduced priced phone which is the numbers ATT had given you though

4. wilymon macrumors member

This sounds about right. I really doubt you'll be able to convince AT&T to change their minds. You COULD sell your 3G on ebay or craigslist, they're going for about $200, more if jailbroken. That would cover the extra $200 you have to pay. But sell ASAP, I have a feeling that once iPhone 4 comes out, 3G prices will drop.

5. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I think they will drop but not by much, some peeps are still selling 2Gs for $150-$200

6. cowsrus macrumors 6502

im really confused by your post

you bought a 3G around a year ago and signed a 2 year contract
    you then called att and they offered to take off a couple hundred dollars of the new iphone
    you are now wondering why you are not entitled to a new 2 year contract?

if you really cant see it let me try and say it as simple as possible

when signing a 2 year contract, you must wait 2 years before getting to sign another and get the discounted price, any sort of deal they give you before august of 2011 is a gift that you are not entitled to, so stop complaining

7. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

First of all, I was not complaining. I am bewildered at how you completely misconstrued my post.

I simply asked if anyone had encountered my situation and if they convinced AT&T to upgrade their phone at the $199 retail price.

A simple "Yes" and elaboration would have sufficed. Thanks for your useless opinion :D

Habitus :apple: