AT&T upgraded network recently?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JLatte, Apr 23, 2009.

1. JLatte macrumors 6502

I'm in San Diego, and I just received a text message from AT&T (604-3)

AT&T Free Msg: We've upgraded our wireless network to give you faster data speed and better in building coverage. We are here to serve you! Reply STOP to end mktg msgs.

Anyone else get this? I actually noticed that my office where I sit upstairs has NEVER had reception above 1 bar and I would have to run outside when I got a phone call before it would drop. Now I have 3-4 bars and it hasn't dropped as of this morning.

[​IMG]

2. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Nope, but I'm on the other side of the country. :p

3. bkostelelecky macrumors newbie

I am in San Diego and I have not gotten that message, yet. I have the same problem inside the building I work at too, but I've noticed full bars now.

Of course I don't have a 3G phone, so don't know if that news pertains to me.

4. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I have not gotten that text, but I'd be so excited to get a message like that- because any inch of hope to get better service with AT&T is like a God sent gift.
    I have 3G. I hope that I will receive a text message like that! :)

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

When you first activated your iPhone, you likely received a very similar text message. It would have said "reply STOP to end mktg msgs." If you replyed "STOP" then you will not likely get any messages. I know I did at the time.

6. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

When activating my phone, I just a welcome message from AT&T. I never texted them STOP before because I have continued to receive offers from them from time for time, such as a phone holiday offer, and the time they opened up WiFi at Starbucks,

7. JLatte thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a bit of an update:

I tested the application just now, ran 6 download speeds. These are my results:

[​IMG]

From the article:

I ran the tests on my iPhone using Speedtest.

If the peak download speeds are 1.7 Mbps and I'm hitting 2.1, I'm thinking they're definitely testing on upping the data speeds. I took this test at a coffee shop near my home that wasn't quite the fastest location previously.

That being said, I'd love to see 3.6 Mbps. Anyways, hope this helps

*edit*
    Left column in the image is download speed, right column is upload.

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I live on the other side of the country (MD) but I got a message a couple weeks ago saying that they installed 2 new cell towers near my house (maybe 1 and 5 miles to either side) and that they're continuing on making our service better. Not exactly the same message as yours but it does show that they're trying. BTW the one deadzone that was in my area is completely gone, full service everywhere in my city now :D

9. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I actually got this email today from AT&T about NY/NJ

To bad no 3G coverage in Orange County where I am. Boo.

[​IMG]