AT&T Upgraded some towers!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mackmgg, Jul 17, 2009.

1. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Well over the past few days I've been doing cell speed tests around my house. From outside I used to get 600kbps with full 5 bars. Now, in the same spot I get 1500kbps with the full 5 bars!

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

That kind of change is normal. If a lot of people are using AT&T's 3G network, speeds get significantly slower. If there are less people using it, 1.5mbp/s is pretty common. AT&T probably didn't upgrade anything, there were less people using 3G.

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Just like he can't prove yet, a persistant increase, you can't prove that there ware less people at the time using the service.

OP, do more test over the next few days at different times and see if the speed increase stays consistent.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There's another possibility: AT&T may have upgraded backhaul on existing sites, allowing for the faster speeds. The backhaul wasn't sufficient before, that could've caused the slow speeds.

5. mackmgg thread starter macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I will over the next couple of days. Also, I noticed Edge couldn't even complete the upload test.

6. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I have great 3G service everywhere I go (read: Internship, Home, GF's house).... except at school. Indoors, I barely get 2 bars. Please, AT&T, improve your service. :(

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey OP, can you contact AT&T and send them out to my house? I'll be out of contract by the time they get out to my house for a tower upgrade. The only thing faster is my 3GS speed, and that's it....:(:(:(