AT&T upgrades

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cshama, Oct 16, 2011.

1. cshama macrumors newbie

My upgrade doesn't happen for 3 months , so I called AT&T and asked for an early upgrade. They offered me one for every phone but the iPhone.

So I tried out the samsung galaxy but really it didn't suit me.

In any case my hopeful theory is that Apple are blocking early upgrades on
    the iPhone until they are caught up on initial demand. And in a couple of weeks they will let At&t do early upgrades on the iPhone just like other phones

2. GravityEyes macrumors regular

GravityEyes

It has nothing to do with Apple. It is AT&T and subsidized costs.

I called yesterday and had my early upgrade pushed up - it was Nov. 16th. Caveat - i must order from AT&T over the phone, or buy in an AT&T store... well, not an AT&T store in the area has a 4S. The Apple Store has shelves full of them - YET, Apple's hands are tied. Their system still shows Nov. 16 - the 'note' of my early upgrade approval is only in AT&T's system. Sigh.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Apple doesn't care when AT&T lets you upgrade, because they've already gotten the subsidized costs from AT&T. It has nothing to do with Apple catching up with initial demand. It's AT&T that wants you to finish paying what you said you would.

4. cshama thread starter macrumors newbie

Then why will AT&T let me upgrade early with any other phone. Also AT&T told me that it was Apple stopping iPhone upgrades

5. gsvar2004 macrumors member

another update

after seeing that some people have been able to cancel pre orders on the att forums i decided i would try one last time to cancel.

called and spoke to one csr no help ask to speak with his manager, who was also no help then ask to speak with the highest person i could speak to.

ended up speaking with the site manager who said he could not cancel because my order was already processing i was persistant on asking when i would receive or at least get more info on shipping and he couldnt tell me but did direct me to the internal office and said someone would contact the factory and i would receive a call within 24 hrs.

claimed because it was an upgrade it couldnt be cancelled but if i would have created a new line it wouldnt have been a problem.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Just go to a store and have them order it for pickup. Better to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive than have to wait until the 16th.

7. Middiebear macrumors member

No doubt the iPhone is the most popular phone, and has been for over 4 years.

Thousands and thousands of customers would love to upgrade whenever they want to a new iPhone everyday but absolutely refuse to pay the higher price if they're not eligible for an upgrade.

AT&T would lose more money than they would make if they just did an override on an iPhone to allow everybody to get the phone at the discount price.

It's a set rule AT&T has stood by since the start when it comes to the iPhone to ensure they're not losing all this money on selling discounted iPhones to every customer that wants one, regardless of their eligibility.

That's why AT&T does offer the early iPhone upgrade... Where you have to pay around $250 more than the discounted price.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The carriers should offer a 1 yr contract with a lower subsidy.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

They blame it on Apple, but the reality is they can't afford to hand out iPhones with low-cost or incomplete contracts. The subsidy on an iPhone is a lot more than a typical phone and that's why AT&T offers customers who have a higher plan rate a discounted phone sooner.