AT&T users got question about switching lines/numbers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Feb 23, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I want to hand down my phone or basically swap phones with a family member. We have a iPhone and non-smartphone both under contract on the same bill. Can we just swap sims and go on about business and our numbers would switch that way or can we not do this? Would it effect our upgrade dates, we are still fulfilling the contracts so I'd hope not?

I'm hoping to eventually ditch the basic phone for the iPhone 6 once the that's out and my contracts up on one of the lines but don't want to mess with anything if I switch numbers.

2. Nathan21585 macrumors member

You will most likely need new SIM cards but it will not affect upgrade dates. The only time a upgrade date is affected is when you buy a new phone.

3. bobright, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I didn't think of the SIM cards being different you're right will probably have to go in. So basically the contracts/upgrade dates are tied to the phones? I'm going to have our lines swapped then hopefully it's a simple process. I just don't want to eat up the non-smartphone upgrade in May as from then on I'll be patiently waiting for the 6. :)

4. Nathan21585 macrumors member

You won't at all cause the upgrade is only for buying a new phone. You can switch the device your using at any time.

5. abecker macrumors member

Yes you can switch. You will likely need to go to an AT&T store to get new SIM cards since their sizes will probably be different.

You also will need to switch the data plan from the iPhone number to the non-smartphone number. If you don't; the system will automatically add it to the line anyway and you'll get charged for both.

6. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

It wouldn't effect my grandfathered unlimited data plan? I want that to remain and def don't want data on the basic phone I'll be using as it can't do much

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

No, it won't affect your grandfathered unlimited data plan. Go in to a corporate store, tell them what you want to do and emphasize the need to retain your grandfathered plan. And of course be sure to read and understand everything they hand you or have you sign.

8. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks deeddog

:D

9. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Hey guys quick help I'm on the phone with AT&T and in order to swap lines they are making me drop my Unlimited data this is BS right? I dont want to drop it but they are saying if I swap my original iPhone number with another basic phone on my lines number id lose the unlimited?

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

well it turns out you can't do this, if you are switching lines and were on a grandfathered plan you'll lose it no way around it. i raised hell over the phone then went instore and did the same no dice.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

I think I misunderstood what you were doing. I thought you were switching phones on a line and asking if the unlimited data on a line would transfer to the new phone on the same line. I see now that you were hoping unlimited data would follow the phone to the other line, which it wouldn't. Sorry for any confusion.