AT&T/ Verizon compatibility

bamafever09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Hoover/Tuscaloosa Alabama
Hey guys. I bought the iPhone 6 on AT&T and love it. However my buddy has a 6plus on Verizon and wants to trade me because he regrets getting the plus. If I unlock my phone will this trade work at all? I know Verizon is unlocked, but will it work on GSM and vice versa? Thanks for the help.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Verizon Iphone 6 will work on AT&T no problem

AT&T Iphone 6 on Verizon should work but you may run into some signal issues. Note some people have reported that they were unable to get it to work.

Give it a try. Swap the sim cards with the phones but make sure the AT&T phone is unlocked first.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Hey guys. I bought the iPhone 6 on AT&T and love it. However my buddy has a 6plus on Verizon and wants to trade me because he regrets getting the plus. If I unlock my phone will this trade work at all? I know Verizon is unlocked, but will it work on GSM and vice versa? Thanks for the help.
should work no problem as long as AT&T version is unlocked.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
should work no problem as long as AT&T version is unlocked.
Verizon told me the VZW will work with AT&T but the AT&T won't work with Verizon. They could have been pulling my leg because they wanted the sale...which Apple got anyway.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Verizon told me the VZW will work with AT&T but the AT&T won't work with Verizon. They could have been pulling my leg because they wanted the sale...which Apple got anyway.
Verizon will not knowingly (most CSR won't anyway) activate a SIM card to be used on an AT&T iphone. However, if you have a SIM card already activated with Verizon's network, it will work in an AT&T iPhone

----------

the verizon phone will work on at&t

the at&t phone WILL NOT work on verizon.
See above.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
the at&t phone WILL NOT work on verizon.
Partially incorrect. Verizon will work on AT&T 6/6Plus. I can confirm by inserting my nano sim card from my Verizon iPad Mini Retina wifi + cellular into my unlocked AT&T 6 Plus and it does work (of course data only since it came from my ipad). Provided that you have an active account on Verizon you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.