AT&T "Voice & Data" = VoLTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by codeman7, Sep 20, 2014.

1. codeman7 macrumors member

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone else is on an AT&T iPhone 6, and saw their phone automatically on "Voice & Data" next to Enable LTE? I don't seem to be in an HD Voice area (which I think for AT&T indicates VoLTE, not sure though), according to the AT&T coverage map, but seeing this automatically enabled on my new iPhone makes me think maybe it's coming soon!

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Its on my plus as well, but its not an option for ATT. Its an option on the phone. Once ATT comes out with the service it will work.

3. codeman7 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, that makes sense. My understanding from reading the Verizon news story was that the option would only show up when the service was available, and additionally that checking "Voice & Data" actually activated the feature, as some people reported being unable to do it.

Is that just not the case for AT&T right now?

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

No i don't believe so, ATT is rolling that out next year

5. illutionz macrumors 65816

LTE does not support voice until provider implements VOLTE that's why if you use AT&T and get on a call, you "dropped out of LTE" and reverted back to 4G which is their HSPA/HSPA+ network (3.5G) because AT&T is basically reverting to their old 3.5G network for making phonecalls.

When AT&T implements VOLTE, it should stay at LTE even when you are on a phone.

AT&T is planning to roll that out next year.

6. codeman7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for clearing it up!

Does seem strange to me that this particular carrier-related feature acts independently of the actual current capabilities (whereas, for example, Tethering is aware of whether or not AT&T will allow it on your plan)—but on the other hand, likely makes sense to allow you to enable it in case you wander into a VoLTE area while traveling.