AT&T VoLTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terraphantm, Sep 19, 2014.

1. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Anyone have VoLTE working on AT&T? My 6 shows LTE calling as an option, but it still seems to drop down to 4G. Not sure if AT&T doesn't have it working yet or if it has something to do with me using my 5S SIM in my 6 (cross upgraded)

2. Jason Cox macrumors newbie

Jason Cox

If memory serves, AT&T has said VoLTE is only available in a few markets (3 or 4, I think) with a broader rollout starting in 2015.

3. esco macrumors 6502

esco

Works for me, but I live in Chicago. AT&T's website says that it's only available in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Minnesota at the moment.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Does it use VoLTE for all calls, or just calls to other VoLTE users?

It'd be nice if it'd be used for calls to landlines, for greater quality. :)

5. winterny macrumors 6502

VoLTE is between you and the tower, so the phone has no idea nor does it care if whomever you are calling is on VoLTE or 3G or a landline.

HD Voice on the other hand will only work to other VoLTE customers on AT&T. There is currently no HD Voice peering between any of the phone companies.

That said, you should at least get landline quality hopefully when you call a HD Voice customer on another carrier.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering.

I LOVE using my office phone at work because of how clear it is when calling out. Cel phones have always sounded somewhat crappy compared to landlines.

Having land line quality when making calls to, for example, my bank would be awesome.