AT&T vs Verizon 3G speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejin222, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ejin222 macrumors member

Are there any real life download speeds between a 4S on AT&T's and Verizon's network? We've seen some reports comparing a 4 and 4S but are there any links or real life tests between AT&T and Verizon?

My wife and I are about to get the 4S but I'm still torn on whether I should stay on Verizon or switch to AT&T. I love the coverage on Verizon but if I'm getting a smartphone, I want to take advantage of the fast speeds the phone has to offer.

And is it really true that the 4S won't be able to fully utilize the 14.4 Mbps speeds because the US doesn't support HSDPA?
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...4_4_mbps_hsdpa_4g_speeds_wont_help_americans/

Thanks!

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/02/iphone-speedtest/

Few more sources below.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1895...rlds_second_3g_wireless_performance_test.html

http://osxdaily.com/2011/02/03/verizon-iphone-vs-att-iphone-speed-test/

I care more about faster speeds than dropped calls so I stick with AT&T.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

On Verizon, you're speeds will NOT improve.

iPhone 4
    GSM only chipset, theoretical 7.2mbps max. Real-life of 3-5mbps.

iPhone 4 CDMA upgraded to Qualcomm MDM6600 GSM/CDMA chipset.
    GSM portion of chipset unused, no sim, antenna/firmware not activated.
    CDMA(Verizon) portion, theoretical 3.2mbps on, real-life of 1-2mbps.

iPhone 4S Same Qualcomm MDM6600 GSM/CDMA carried over.
    GSM portion activated. Theoretical 14.4mbps, real-life expected 6-10mbps where 4G/HSPA+ is available.
    CDMA(Verizon) portion totally unchanged from 4.

4. ejin222 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not talking about the iP4 comparisons. That I already know.

What I'm wondering is if there are any 4S comparisons. I've seen tests where the 4S on Verizon is faster than the 4G speeds on T-Mobile's network, but I have not seen a comparison test between a 4S on Verizon and a 4S on AT&T.

Also, what about the article stating that the 4S can't even utilize the theoretical 14.4Mbps speeds because no US carrier uses HSDPA?

I guess time will tell as people start getting their phones. Can't wait!

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

If AT&T is faster than Verizon with the iPhone 4, and the iPhone 4S increases the maximum limit on AT&T EVEN FURTHER, wouldn't it make sense that AT&T will be faster?

I know it isn't definitive proof but I think the factors above are enough to make a correct guess.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It can, they are confused, feel free to google the Qualcomm MDM6600 chipset capabilities.

4S on ATT depends on where you are. If you are in a metro area with 4G/HSPA+, you should get 6-10mbps. If you are in an area with old school 3G, you should get 3-5mbpsl. If your out in the boondocks, EDGE.

Verizon 3G you can expect same old 1-2mbps. 4S is not compatible with Verizon 4G/LTE network, so no upgrade.

7. Jody macrumors regular

I'm switching from ATT to Verizon... I'll miss the extra speed, but I really don't think I'm going to miss ATTs horrible coverage, downtime, and other issues they consistently have in Florida.

8. ejin222 thread starter macrumors member

Well, no, as shown in this comparison:
    http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/11/800mhz-iphone-4s-browser-powers-past-the-1-5ghz-samsung-galaxy-s2/

Here, the 4S is on Verizon and still blows past the 4 on AT&T. I'm sure the 4S on AT&T will be much faster than the 4 on AT&T as well.

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Where the heck are you in FL. Speeds and coverage in the central FL area are fantastic. :confused:

10. Shaych macrumors newbie

I'm changing off AT&T... well mainly because any speed is an improvement.

My current AT&T results... as you can see... they vary. All taken in downtown Denver at about the same location. I wish the last 2 results were the norm... but sadly those were as good as it gets and not very often at those speeds. I have a long list of test with many different days and times... and they all average between 10 - 50kbps. :(

[​IMG]

11. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

QFT.

iOS5 Safari got a huge javascript speed and HTML5 feature-set bump.
    Then pair that with the new A5 cpu.

Rendering speed+++

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Damn! That sucks, my speeds around metro, suburban Atlanta, and Chattanooga.

[​IMG]

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

15. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

If you're over near Coors Field - that's the problem. AT&T simply doesn't have the backhaul capacity in that area. In other parts of Denver (like as little as a mile away), I get excellent data speed. I know people that have switched to Verizon due to the poor coverage in the downtown area and have regretted it. From what they've told me, it hasn't made much of a difference. Fewer drops, but quality and data speeds aren't much better.

16. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That article is comparing the speed of the browser (i.e. the rendering and Javascript engine). It has nothing to do with data rate. iOS5 and the faster processor in the 4S means that it will render pages faster than a 4, but that's true regardless of the network it's on.

AT&T's network will always be faster than Verizon's on a 4 or 4S, if you are in an AT&T 3G coverage area. Even without HSPA+ (i.e. with an iPhone 4) this is the case, with the 4S the speed can be even faster on AT&T but no difference with Verizon. On Verizon you are absolutely topped out at <3Mb/s nationwide with the iPhone.

17. Shaych macrumors newbie

Actually I'm right next to the capital building. My biggest reason for changing (and I chose Sprint) is that I get a better discount with them... so if the data stays the same... at least I'm paying less. Our office uses Sprint and the coverage here seems to be pretty good.

I get pretty good service outside of downtown... with the exception of my house... which has almost no connection at all. Denver sure does seem to be the red headed step child of wireless service. Every rating I have ever seen has slower speeds across all 4 companies when compared to other metro areas.