Carrier AT&T vs Verizon for iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DavidLeblond, Sep 8, 2016.

1. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Hey guys! So right now I'm on AT&T's Unlimited plan... as in the original iPhone plan that AT&T desperately wants everyone to get rid of. Throughout the years they've driven the price up to where I've decided to give up and get another plan. But now I'm wondering if I should go over to Verizon.

There are benefits to both... with AT&T I can hang onto my old phone and add my wife to the line when her Sprint plan expires (Sprint was a mistake.)

With Verizon I could get a signal when we visit her family in Wyoming (AT&T just isn't out there.)

But my question is, there seems to be some questions on how well phones work surfing the web while talking on the phone for Verizon (something I need to do for my phone.) From what I can tell, you can only do it if you're in a place that supports HD Voice. How common is this? Will this be a problem? Because if so, that's a dealbreaker.

2. 16Paws macrumors 6502a

Check out Verizon's FAQ:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/hd-voice-for-ios-faqs/

But the answer is that anyone is eligible with a compatible phone (iPhone 7 is) and a verizon post-paid plan (not a pre-paid plan). The only caveat is that it only works when you are on LTE (if you are on 3G or lower you can talk and surf the web only if you are on Wifi). If you are on LTE it works great... I have the iPhone 6s Plus and use the feature daily.

3. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Hmm...

So one more question, if I wanted to switch... would I be able to tonight when the preorders go up? I haven't switched service since before they allowed your number to be ported. What would be the best way to do that?

4. LouE37 macrumors member

I just talked to someone about this. Pre-order a Verizon iphone 7, and then contact verizon after the fact to talk about porting, current account #, etc and they will get it all setup so when you get your phone and turn it on it will being the porting etc.