AT&T vs Verizon hardware theory?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rz-jacks, Apr 28, 2012.

1. rz-jacks macrumors member

Could it be possible that since the Verizon and AT&T iPads have different chipsets for Internet that one might be faster/work smoother than the other?

Right now I have an AT&T iPad but I tested out a Verizon a few weeks back and I remember it being a little sluggish when it comes to loading web pages, changing wifi settings and stuff like that. For example: I feel like the AT&T one takes less time to download applications, and takes a lot less time to recognize and connect to a wifi network than the Verizon. It just seems smoother in that sense for sme reason. Has anyone else perceived this?

I'm curious if the Verizon chipset had to compromise since it also had to accommodate CDMA?

Just a thought

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They have the same hardware inside. Both are using the Qualcomm MDM9600.

3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Besides, you seem to be totally overlooking the obvious, that AT&T just has coverage/speed in your area, or that the Verizon service was just slow at that time.

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Also, we know the reason. It's because the Lower B and C blocks have a reversed UL/DL band plan from the Upper C, and they are not interoperable. This is not rocket science.

5. rz-jacks thread starter macrumors member

So Is the wifi chip separate from then cellular chip?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, the iPad 3 uses the Broadcom BCM4330 for WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. While the GPS is provided by the Qualcomm MDM9600.