AT&T vs Verizon iPad 2 which one to get

Discussion in 'iPad' started by msarway, Jun 21, 2011.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

I need to buy a new iPad 2 I need iPad with data should I get a Verizion or AT&T version I live in NYC and travel to south jersey. Is there a big difference.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

The only difference is in coverage, and slight price differences for the plans. Only you can decide/know what works best in your area. For example, do you have either network for your cell phone?

3. truciet macrumors 6502

Compare map coverages and see. AT&T is faster overall, but Verizon has better coverage. If both areas are covered with AT&T, I'll go for that for speed IMO.

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I know I'm going to sound childish, but I got the Verizon iPad 2 after having an AT&T iPad just to "stick it to the man" in a way.

Can't stand the death star.

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

As long as it makes you feel better. It makes no difference to any carrier they have very deep pockets.

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Yeah I definitely agree lol It made me feel better though. Did the same for the iPhone 4 when it came out on VZW. Made the switch with no ETF.

7. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I say AT&T as the data speeds are much faster and as long as you are in a covered area AT&T is the way.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I'd say get the unlocked hsdpa+ model, and not the carrier locked evdo rev a one.

9. taipan61 macrumors 6502

LOL...haven't heard it called that in awhile

10. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I've used Verizon broadband services on my laptops for a number of years. The past two years, I've used Verizon's MiFi 2200. I now have a Verizon flavored iPad 2. In my experience, the data speeds vary wildly. If I'm in a weaker 3G signal strength area, the speeds can be awful. I have no experience with AT&T's broadband service. So, while Verizon may have greater geographical coverage, I would be interested to see how the data rates compare from marginal locations.

11. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

It will depend on your coverage area. Both AT&T & Verizon are strong in my area, so that part didn't matter to me. When I purchased my iPad 2, I wasn't able to find and AT&T model so I went with Verizon. IMO, the Verizon plans are a bit better. Overall, I am happy with my choice.

12. surfrider007 macrumors newbie

having the ATT GSM chip makes the difference to me. I travel outside the US quite a bit.

13. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

AT&T for speed and AT&T for resale value. The oversea's peeps love em.