Carrier AT&T vs Verizon ipad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mekump, Nov 17, 2013.

1. mekump macrumors newbie

I currently have an iPad with AT&T service. I can activate/deactivate on a month to month for $15 for 250MB. If I go out of the country I can activate international from my iPad on a month to month basis as well. I can even set the date as to when I want it to start. I don't recall the pricing.

I am currently thinking about upgrading to the iPad mini retina with Verizon mainly because I can get 1GB for $20 per month. My questions:

Can I stop and start Verizon on a month to month basis from my iPad like AT&T?
    Can I stop and start Verizon International on a month to month basis like I do with AT&T?
    How much is the Verizon International data plans?

tia,
    Mike

2. Bheleu macrumors 6502

If what I remember from older models is true, Verizon is CDMA which means your international sphere is just Canada. AT&T shares more common bands everywhere else.

----------

It has changed... Read this article at the bottom.

http://www.imore.com/att-vs-verizon-vs-sprint-vs-t-mobile-which-ipad-carrier-should-you-choose

3. ronm99 macrumors 6502

My understanding is that the hardware between the various LTE units is identical ... only the SIM card provided is different (although I think the IMEI number for the devices are registered with the networks as well, so if you switch networks, you might need to call them in order to enable your device on their network).

So, form a hardware point of view both should work equally well for international travel.

As far as starting and stopping plans, I think that Apple requires the networks to provide this option, so if you buy a non-subsidized iPad, you will always have the month to month option with any of the carriers.

Regarding international plans, I've never used them on my iPads so it would be best to call Verizon about it. When I travel, I usually get the international data on my iPhone and just tether. I'm actually thinking of switching to T-Mobile so I can get free (but SLOW) international data on my iPhone!

If you like the Verizon plan domestically, I would recommend getting that model. If Verizon doesn't have an international plan that you are happy with, you could always just get an ATT Sim card for travel.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep, two models ago with the iPad3 in March 2012.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yes. The SIM gets deactivated after 5 months of non-use, though.

No idea if Verizon offers prepaid International data like AT&T does. However, it's probably cheaper if you get either a world SIM or a local SIM from the country you're traveling to. I've been researching data plans for my vacation and in the country I'm traveling to, I can get unlimited LTE data for 30 days for just $23.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Lte

CDAM is not the same for the LTE bands. the LTE is pretty much universal and ubiquitous. It's one of the reasons I went with the cellular model this time, it'll pretty much work everywhere. Get a nice data card internationally, and let the ipad be the hotspot.

7. scubacat macrumors member

Can it be reactivated in this case?
    I plan to buy a cellular iPad but won't need to use the cellular plan more than 1-2 times a year so if this is the case, mine will probably get deactivated every 5 months.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just for clarification does that 5 month clock start when the SIM is activated, i.e., user sets up the cellular acct or when the iPad is activated, regardless of whether the user even touched the cellular settings.

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I'm not sure about an unactivated SIM but I'm sure it does that after you stop service on an already activated one.

----------

You'd need to get a new SIM from Verizon when that happens.

10. biosci macrumors 6502a

What a dumb policy on the carriers end. Why can't they just re-enable the cellular capabilities or deactivate the SIM card on their end? Seems like a waste if everyone's time if you ask me...

11. magbarn macrumors 68000

And GOOD LUCK on getting that from anywhere other than fleabay. No matter what any Verizon CSR tells you, they will NOT give you a new verizon sim from any verizon store/dealer unless you sign up for a post-paid plan which you don't want.

12. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I can confirm it gets deactivated. And when you go to a verizon store, they'll tell you there's no way to get another prepaid sim, and try to sign you up for a postpaid plan.

You can buy a verizon sim on eBay that'll work.

13. scubacat macrumors member

Does AT&T also deactivate the SIM or is it just Verizon? If AT&T also does this, is it easier to get a replacement SIM?

14. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

How can you get 1GB for $20/month with Verizon? I was just told that they do not offer that plan anymore, and that they just offer the 2GB for $30/month as the lowest plan.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Shows up in the options in View Account (prepaid). I just checked Apple Store's iPad page and Verizon's website and the 1GB for $20 for prepaid is still there so I'd disregard what the customer service rep told you.

Now, if on postpaid (which is what corporate stores will push you to get), minimum plan is $30/month for 4GB plus a $10 line access fee for the iPad so $40/month minimum total (before employee discounts).

16. wxman2003 Suspended

Actually if your account goes dormant for 60 days, you go in and create new account by re entering IMEI and ICCID from your ipad.

https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

17. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Try making a Genius appointment at your local Apple Store, and ask the Genius for a replacement SIM. I've only done this once to get an AT&T SIM, but maybe they may have Verizon SIMs in the back. Can't hurt to ask.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/prepay/processPrePayRequest.do?type=pptablet

Sounds like you talked to a salesperson who lied trying to steer you onto a postpaid account so he/she could get commission.

19. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Verizon SIM

Last week I deactivated my account on the iPad3 so I could sell it. I went to the Verizon store and they gave me a new pre-paid sim. It worked for the new owner.

20. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

AT&T vs Verizon ipad mini

Ah, ok thanks

----------

Excellent. If I sign up for it from my iPad, what are the requirements? Will I need a different sim? And where on the iPad do you sign up for the prepaid plan?

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Settings->CellularData->ViewAccount on iOS6. I imagine it's equally as obvious on iOS7.

A different SIM from what? Use the one that came with the ipad.

Requirements are the same for any prepaid plan; email address and credit card.

22. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Great, hopefully there's no activation fees.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Nobody else has reported any in at least three ipad model releases...

24. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

25. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Buy the Verizon model for the Verizon SIM and an iPad that's on their whitelist. Then stick a T-Mobile SIM in it and enjoy 200MB/month for free (no credit card required). I bought the Verizon model because I wanted to make sure I could hook up to a network with free hotspot (ATT is not free on prepaid plans). Turns out the 200MB/month T-Mobile free plan will let me hotspot too.