Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Not out dated advice at all it's the Truth the T- Mobile network has more holes in it than swiss cheese . You have to wonder why no storm chasers use T-Mobile to stream live video or to get radar data . If it works for you and you don't travel very little then go for it :) but I could never live with GPRS and EDGE data speeds

I travel a lot inside and outside the US. No problems. Just keeps getting better. :)

PS - no carrier is going to help you when the tornado knocks out all the towers in an area. Which is why they use sat phones.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I travel a lot inside and outside the US. No problems. Just keeps getting better. :)

PS - no carrier is going to help you when the tornado knocks out all the towers in an area. Which is why they use sat phones.

none of the chasers I know use Sat phones. It would be rather expensive if not impossible to stream live video using a sat phone .While T-Mobile may have gotten a little better the last couple of years they are still a joke and there coverage maps are a giant lie showing LTE in my area all way to the beaches when it's 3G coverage still. These are tourist areas so it's not an option for me and don't even get me talking about T-mobiles lack of coverage in the Florida panhandle :)

Reactions: willmtaylor

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
none of the chasers I know use Sat phones. It would be rather expensive if not impossible to stream live video using a sat phone .While T-Mobile may have gotten a little better the last couple of years they are still a joke and there coverage maps are a giant lie showing LTE in my area all way to the beaches when it's 3G coverage still. These are tourist areas so it's not an option for me and don't even get me talking about T-mobiles lack of coverage in the Florida panhandle :)

If you say so. All the things I've read on professional storm chasers, they speak of Sat phones. It wouldn't make sense for hobbyists to get sat phones, correct. But it still sounds again like you're in small town territory. I haven't had any trouble at the beaches in NY/NJ, CA or WA. I don't ever plan on going to the panhandle so take your word for it. But my service in Miami & Tampa were excellent. Verizon definitely has better coverage in small towns, that's for sure. I don't dispute that. You must do what's best for your needs.

@tx2005 & @Spink10 - I had great service in Houston when I was there. Before I Switched to TMO, I checked in w/ my friend who lives there who also has TMO. She loves them. She lives about 45 min from downtown Houston.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
If you say so. All the things I've read on professional storm chasers, they speak of Sat phones. It wouldn't make sense for hobbyists to get sat phones, correct. But it still sounds again like you're in small town territory. I haven't had any trouble at the beaches in NY/NJ, CA or WA. I don't ever plan on going to the panhandle so take your word for it. But my service in Miami & Tampa were excellent. Verizon definitely has better coverage in small towns, that's for sure. I don't dispute that. You must do what's best for your needs.

@tx2005 & @Spink10 - I had great service in Houston when I was there. Before I Switched to TMO, I checked in w/ my friend who lives there who also has TMO. She loves them. She lives about 45 min from downtown Houston.

Mobile, AL/ Pensacola FL is not a small area and I travel for a living and Tmobile is horrible once you leave Miami and Tampa so I know that you are not being truthful or you might have not left the city :) Houston isn't a bad area for T-Mobile but it does get a little sketchy down around Gavelston and I am not sure why you would never want to visit the panhandle but if you ever do you will see how piss poor Tmobile is down here on the central gulf coast. If you do make it shoot me a PM and I will buy you a beer if you are older than 21 :)

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
TMO is great around here, in the city area, but as soon as you drift out you drop to unusable data, and then often you'll get no service. That's the problem with AZ in general for most except Verizon. My family just drove up to the Grand Canyon last weekend. My wife (VZN) had service the entire time with the only shift to unusable data (1x) coming in a very remote stretch. My TMO phone had almost no service outside the main metro area's and even in some spots while I'd have decent voice I'd have 2g data. VZN clearly is the winner here.

A friend of the family is a world renown Storm Chaser out here. I'll ask him what he uses, because I do know he does use his phone often for tracking via a variety of apps on where cells are forming, etc. Now I'm curious to what he chose since i know he spends the entire summer almost driving around for that.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Mobile, AL/ Pensacola FL is not a small area and I travel for a living and Tmobile is horrible once you leave Miami and Tampa so I know that you are not being truthful or you might have not left the city :) Houston isn't a bad area for T-Mobile but it does get a little sketchy down around Gavelston and I am not sure why you would never want to visit the panhandle but if you ever do you will see how piss poor Tmobile is down here on the central gulf coast. If you do make it shoot me a PM and I will buy you a beer if you are older than 21 :)

I stay in Tampa & Miami proper. There is nothing I need to see in the panhandle. But Peniscola is hardly a metropolitan area. It is large in area but not a "major city" by any means. I stick to whiskey but appreciate the offer.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I stay in Tampa & Miami proper. There is nothing I need to see in the panhandle. But Peniscola is hardly a metropolitan area. It is large in area but not a "major city" by any means. I stick to whiskey but appreciate the offer.
TMO is great around here, in the city area, but as soon as you drift out you drop to unusable data, and then often you'll get no service. That's the problem with AZ in general for most except Verizon. My family just drove up to the Grand Canyon last weekend. My wife (VZN) had service the entire time with the only shift to unusable data (1x) coming in a very remote stretch. My TMO phone had almost no service outside the main metro area's and even in some spots while I'd have decent voice I'd have 2g data. VZN clearly is the winner here.

A friend of the family is a world renown Storm Chaser out here. I'll ask him what he uses, because I do know he does use his phone often for tracking via a variety of apps on where cells are forming, etc. Now I'm curious to what he chose since i know he spends the entire summer almost driving around for that.

You know Weed Trimmer ? :) The answer will be Verizon. Some of us have both AT&T and Verizon and use them bonded so we can upload video to tv stations quickly and have the highest quality live stream

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Haha. Nah, Mike Olbinski. His Monsoon time lapse video's are amazing.

I would almost guarantee it's Verizon as well, but figured I'll ask out of confirmed curiosity since not knowing will get me all OCD curious. I've had ATT, TMO and Verizon and VZN has had, by far, the best coverage in AZ in terms of overall connectivity / stability.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Psh, that'd require me to have been on Facebook today...lol. Good catch, though. I have become so tuned out to carrier bands on screenshots that I probably STILL wouldn't have noticed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.