At&t vs Verizon: Who Will Have The Most iPhone Users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I'm having a hard time finding numbers, but obviously At&t is ahead of Verizon when it comes to the number of people owning an iPhone (mostly because of the early iPhone 4 upgrade for everyone, who are now locked in for another 2 years), since they've been having it for 4 years almost.

But, it's been a few days now that Verizon has the iPhone, I'm assuming there are already over a million sold (if not more).

Which carrier do you think will have the most iPhone users by the end of the year?

Or, overall?

Currently, At&t has 95,500,000 customers, and Verizon has 93,200,000 customers (numbers according to wikipedia).

I'm expecting Verizon to take control and be #1 again in the next few weeks/months. It's going to have more iPhone users than At&t, and I believe that it will have more users, overall.

Thoughts?

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I'm not so sure... if the data problems persist I think it could be a big PITA for verizon

3. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Do we know how many of AT&T's 95M users are iPhone users?

4. ac921ol macrumors regular

all i know is AT&T is 3 years ahead of Verizon, so it will take a little while for them to even catch up to the number AT&T has right now. So I think all in all AT&T will, but ask again about 30 Years.

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Att has over 11 million iPhone users. Att will have more iPhone user than Verizon for a few years

6. shadrap macrumors 6502

Agreed, Plus AT&T ain't gonna make it easy. Look at what they have already put in place. Unlimited mobile to mobile, free 1000 rollover etc....

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

To the OP...no...just no...10 million+ on AT&T vs. 900,000 on Verizon and you think Verizon will overtake them in a few "weeks/months"? what are you smoking chief?

8. soldierblue macrumors 6502

We'd need to know the number of BlackBerry and Android users on the network. I'd seen somewhere that something like 19% of Verizon Android users want to move to an iPhone. I could definitely see it getting close in 2-3 years. I'm guessing the growth the smartphone market will see over the next few years will make 11 million AT&T iPhone users look like nobody.

9. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, doesn't apple plan on selling over 11 million iphones to the verizon network this year alone?

I could see Verizon having more customers before the end of 2012.

10. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

That's what some analyst estimated

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not like people will stop buying AT&T iPhones, though. That's the only way your guesses make sense.

13. zenio macrumors 6502

I don't see it happening, there's too much uncertainty since the Verizon version is not getting great reviews.

It's quite good but not up to Apples Hype. Perhaps it is that hype, that's catching up to Apple. They constantly make these wild claims "this changes everything".

Nice try Apple. The times are changing, the competitors are getting quietly better. Letting their performance do the talking.

The Android momentum speaks volumes.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't see what the big deal is.

15. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

:rolleyes:

16. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

unfair thought since as stated AT&T has a head start. I think a more fair question would be who will sell more iphone's in the second half of 2011? I think in 2012 when LTE rolls out, Verizon will pull from ATT.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

vz wont be able to catch up anytime soon. There are already 3 models only on att and many on contracts. Plus people are gana still go to att. Also it is unknown if the iphone 5 will launch right away with cmda with gsm.

18. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I think the only time that we can really see which provider has more iPhone users is about 3 years or so from now so that there everyone that is on contract currently and for the people who are waiting for LTE on Verizon will be able to switch to Verizon then. So many people are on contract with AT&T and most of them will not pay the ETF to go to Verizon.

19. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Verizon is the middle man. How does this mean that eleven million are going to buy it?

Really? Engadget (top 5 largest electronic news source) only gave it a 9/10.

Honestly... whoever said "who cares" to this whole thread is spot on. Who cares if Verizon surpasses AT&T in total iPhone owners?

I initially wanted to say that Verizon would eventually surpass AT&T, and quickly, because of the fact that Verizon supplies so many more rural areas. I then thought about the fact that AT&T covers more people and AT&T has towers where the mass of the population is. That said, I think the ballpark of 1-2 years would be accurate.

20. Geffen macrumors 6502

It will take some time for Verizon to catch up to AT&T's iphone customer base I can't see that happening this year.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does it really matter.

I mean do we see posts here about other countries where the iPhone is available on multiple carriers?

I get the phone and carrier that best fits by needs, I don't care if VZW and more customers or ATT.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where did you get this? Apple has made no comments on how many phones they plan to have on Verizon's or anyone's network. And who cares other than ATT and Verizon shareholders?

See my signature.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

People always seem to ignore the year head start the Xbox had in the console wars, don't see why this should be any different.

24. patp Guest

at&t will have more iphone users since they started n 2007. they seem to have a better network and if they can fix the dropped call thing, VZW will have nothing to brag about.

after using my vzw ip4 for a few days, the slower 3G speeds are frustrating considering all of VZW's posturing ala their marketing. the service in OC, CA is spotty. Some areas are great, but Tustin, Irvine areas are just not reliable and the 3G changes to 0 constantly.

25. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921