AT&T vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Obscurelight, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Would anyone be able to tell me which network iPad will work best overseas?

As far as I'm aware, the iPhone 5 with Verizon will work with LTE in Europe as well as Asia while the AT&T flavour will work with LTE in the U.S./Canada. I will be traveling to Asia several times through the next year and would like to know whether the AT&T or Verizon iPad will work better with foreign networks especially when it comes to LTE or it would not make much of a difference.

2. TXGRunner macrumors newbie

In Thailand, they sold A1430 AT&T version

I bought my iPad 3 in Thailand. I thought it was the Verizon version since that is supposedly more compatible. I just checked the model number on the back...it says A1430 :eek:

That is a real surprise. Getting the tech specs for iPad 3 is more difficult now, but, in Asia, it was sold like this:
    4G LTE (700, 2100 MHz)3; UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

So, if most countries LTE networks (and planned networks) are lined up on the bands/freqs used by Verizon, why did they sell this version in Asia?!?!?

According to the iPad4 specs, it is model 1460 (Verizon model) which works most places (http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/) like Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, etc.

To add to the confusion, many of the discussions about compatibility mention you can use a Verizon iPad 3 on AT&T's 3G network, but not the other way around. Well, I used mine on TrueMove (Thailand) without any issues, and my son's was working on AIS, same model.

Since I don't know the details of LTE, maybe there is something else beyond freq and LTE band which determines compatibility. I don't know if a Verizon iPad3 will actually work on same band/freq networks in Korea, Japan, etc. I'll try in December and see what happens.

3. TXGRunner macrumors newbie

Wow...did Apple really screw people in Asia?

I found this thread on a forum about 4G in Singapore.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...telco-compatibility-3rd-gen-ipad-3638972.html

Looking at the specs for iPad4, it appears 4G in Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and Australia used the same bands/freqs as Singapore, which are the same as Verizon.

So, why did Apple ONLY sell the AT&T model of iPad3 in Asia? Worse, they advertised it as "4G LTE" when they knew the Asian 4G networks would be different frequencies.

That was really stupid!!