All iPads AT&T vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Taylor814ce, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Taylor814ce macrumors newbie

I currently have ATT on my phone. I see that verizon gas larger LTE coverage in comparison. If I get ATT and later change my mine and put in Verizon SIM card, would it work as well as if I got verizon to start out with?

I guess what I'm asking is is it identical hardware minus the SIM card?

I think before AIR, the older gen iPads had differences in hardware besides SIM card, no?

Thanks

2. holycowe macrumors member

If you have iPad air or rMini with cellular than yes. You can use it with any carrier you want

3. tzd macrumors newbie

AT&T vs. Verizon

It's best to get a Verizon iPad. Then you have the option to swap in an AT&T SIM card if you want to switch. I am not sure if it is possible to get an AT&T iPad registered on Verizon's network given the complexities of the CDMA portion of their network.

4. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

verzion coverage mite be larger, but some area mite be slow.

5. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Isn't the hardware identical between all carriers in the new iPads/iPhone? I thought the hardware differences are a thing of the past, now the only difference is the preinstalled SIM card. Correct?

6. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Get the Verizon iPad to have the least issues. It will work on AT&T 100%. You may run into problems trying to activate a non-Verizon device on Verizon later on.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

Yes you are right in that aspect.

However, you might have a hard time activating an ipad not preloaded with a Verizon SIM card onto Verizons network. It's just a policy set forth by Verizon. I think Sprint may be the same as well.

That's why most advise people to buy the Verizon ipad for the easiest "flexibility" since it's very simple to obtain a SIM card and activate it on AT&T and TMOB.

8. DelMac macrumors regular

I bought a Verizon rMini and I'm using an AT&T SIM. Any individual data plan below 5GB, AT&T has better prices and over 5GB, Verizon has the better deals. CNN released an article a couple of months ago titled "Speedy AT&T Vs Reliable Verizon: The Gap Narrows" worth looking over. They're both good companies. Buy the Verizon model for the flexibility of swapping to AT&T if you need though. The AT&T version is fine too but Verizon might give you a hard time giving you a SIM while AT&T gives them away no problem.