Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AT&T Waiting for Wi-Fi Rollout to Launch iPhone Access?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Despite numerous hints about AT&T's plans to offer free Wi-Fi to iPhone users, AT&T has yet to make an official announcement and the service is currently unavailable.

The reason for the delay may simply be that they have not yet deployed their Wi-fi hotspots to all Starbucks locations. AT&T only recently took over Wi-Fi service from T-Mobile at Starbucks and it appears the transition remains ongoing. The photo above was taken at a Starbucks in California.

Article Link

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
What AT&T and Apple are preparing for is an iPhone 2.0 fiesta! This will be a extravaganza with chips and salsa celebrating iPhone 2.0, the AT&T Wi-Fi, the SDK, the AppStore, and many more! Look for invitations in the mall soon. :)

Comment

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
The Starbucks closest to my house has an employee that also works at the Apple Store so we always talk Apple together. Today he said that the AT7T broadband is set up in the store but its not working for anyone (even via a laptop). He said he thinks they are having a lot of issues getting it working here. They still offer T-Mobile wireless too.

Comment

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
Today he said that the AT7T broadband is set up in the store but its not working for anyone (even via a laptop). He said he thinks they are having a lot of issues getting it working here. They still offer T-Mobile wireless too.

I went to 1 of the 3 Starbuck's I'm in the middle of, and this is exactly the case. My phone joined "T-mobile" and when I selected "attwifi" I got a log-in page, but not the one we saw last week for my iPhone number. So while I guess both T-mobile and AT&T may be active at this particular location, they're not setup for the iPhone...yet. To be honest, I don't see why AT&T would enable this so close to the 3G launch without doing it at the launch to piggy-back on all it's publicity.

-Brian

Comment

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
What other stores besides Starbucks are offering this free wi fi?

As of now, Starbucks is the only one offering it at the moment, My store has had AT&T operational since january when they were first surveying the NY metro area. I've been checking the promo rollout sheets and letters we get in, and I'm almost positive that the free iPhone wifi will coincide with the free starbucks card perks free wifi. Ill post back if i find out any more info.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
My local McDonald's is an AT&T hotspot and when the wifi was free for the iPhone our McDonald's had it available. So McDonald's and Starbucks are hotspots.

Comment

montypython

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2005
Oh no! Water damage on the box...maybe thats why these WiFi hotspots aren't working yet.

Plus, all you need is the phone number of someone with an iPhone and you can get all the free WiFi you want! I love it.

Comment

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Yeah, when I was at Starbucks yesterday (South Florida) I noticed that there were two wireless networks there... T-Mobile, and attwifi.... It was strange though because my Mac automatically joined "T-Mobile" but my iPhone automatically joined "attwifi"

Comment

change

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
Who knows...
Why must they taunt us so...

When i heard the first announcement (or rather read it on MacRumors ;)), i was so psyched to go check it out, only to find that they had disabled it again. All these clues and breadcrumbs and "turned on for a few hours" stories are tiring. Somebody email me when it actually works:(

In reality, as an "always on the go" person, this is awesome, and i can't wait for it. As much as i like to patronize local small businesses, clients always want to meet at Starbucks or some other big, recognizable chain that is an easy to find landmark. Free wireless would be sick! We should get it, as expensive a proposition this iPhone business has been. :eek:

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I thought the Starbucks Wi-Fi service was being introduced over a long period (many many months), city by city, with a schedule that was already announced, so I'm puzzled about this story.

Comment

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
has to be soon if they have the equipment at stores just ready to install.

Comment

byrd45

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
South Florida
No luck

I tried every way under the sun to connect to ATT last night at SBUX but no luck. I couldn't even get the login page. It was a waste of 20 min, but the coffee was good!

Comment

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Oh no! Water damage on the box...maybe thats why these WiFi hotspots aren't working yet.

Plus, all you need is the phone number of someone with an iPhone and you can get all the free WiFi you want! I love it.

Water Spots on Hot Spots usually not good.

Comment

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Over the Reignbough
ATT-WiFi was available yesterday at the starbucks on 6th ave and 23rd street, with free access on my iPhone.

Oddly, the T-Mobile network was still available, too.

Comment

Trundle

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Stopped by the SBux near my house...
ATT WiFi access was available and operational

North Hollywood, CA 91602

Comment

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Stopped by the SBux near my house...
ATT WiFi access was available and operational

North Hollywood, CA 91602

Operational in what way? You get an iphone login page, or you get the at&t wifi login page where you have to be a DSL subscriber to get free wifi?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.