AT&T were the ones NOT "iReady" !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JBLinkinsop, Jul 12, 2008.

1. JBLinkinsop macrumors newbie

So, I had my tent, I had my macbook for movies, I had my snacks. I have a family of 4 and we have 4 iPhones. we were all in line. I was there a total of 12 hours until the store opened. Then as i go in I am informed that there is a 3 iPhone limit on family plans!!!!!!!! So basically one of us waited out in the cold for 12 hours for nothing. This was not explained at any time previously. But as our excitement grew we got the bad news. I was in the store for an additional 2 hours and RIGHT as my hopes were fading in walked a reported for the newspaper. as I grinned and said louder then usual "Maybe the Newspaper would like to know about this stupid rule." Over stepped the manager and he got us worked out in a matter of 15 mins. Close call. My family and I (wife, Mother, Father) are all enjoying our iphones (I got the white 16 gig. amazing) anyone else have this issue?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

havent you read all the threads about 1 per person, 3 per family discussion on MR ? Sounds like you werent iReady

3. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

I agree. A lot of the time, the managers at the brick and mortar stores have really no say in the corporate rules. And that rule definitely came from the "higher up's" in AT&T. I feel bad for the managers having to put up with **** like this from customers who didn't do a little research.

4. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

I didn't have your issue, but I had another issue with AT&T. This is a sort of long story, but here goes....

Basically, I waited on line Friday from about 7:00 AM to about 2:30 PM at my local Apple store. I finally get inside, pick out my Black 16GB 3G iPhone, AppleCare, and a anti-glare film set. The Apple sales person starts my transaction with the handheld they use, enters my information, and he gets an "unsupported account number" error. He tries again thinking it was a glitch, and gets the same error. He calls AT&T and they say that my account is fine. He puts me on the phone with them and they ask if I had a corporate account. I reply no, but I used to get a corporate discount and had it removed the week before as instructed in order to purchase the iPhone. The AT&T rep on the phone tells me that they are having an "issue with personal accounts that received corp discounts" and that I had to go into a corp AT&T store to have my account fixed. At this point I was quite unhappy, but drove to my nearest corp store anyway figuring I had time to resolve the issue. They were out of iPhones, but I spent over an hour there making sure my account was squared away. Even got a rep to put a note on my account to this.
    Back to my local Apple store I went. I called ahead, spoke to someone on the floor and explained my story. They allowed me to cut the line that was still there, and attempt buy an iPhone. I went back in, started the transaction, and the same error comes back. We call the AT&T line and they basically say I have to buy the iPhone in a corp store that there is nothing they can do even though I am clearly eligible (the AT&T rep even said there should be nothing wrong with my account). So after waiting in line all day, going back-and-forth between Apple and AT&T and no iPhone on Friday.
    This morning I woke up early again, went back to the corp AT&T store, and was able to purchase my new 3G iPhone this morning. Luckily, they had gotten a restock shipment and they were able to process the order. Needless to say, my Friday was a complete loss. The only saving grace was the courteous Apple employees that went out of their way to help me yesterday, even though I couldn't buy an iPhone. The Apple employees seemed to know more about the process then any of their AT&T counterparts. Like I said though, this story ended happily (like yours) as I was able to buy one this morning.

5. wronski macrumors 6502

Haha, you had a tent set up for 12 hours in front of a store so that you could buy a telephone.

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

To OP, why didnt you call ahead of time to get ready ? Why didnt you look through forum ?

I met a lot of people Friday where they really didnt know what they were buying. They were there because they wanted the iPhone without even knowing what it is.

If your a member of this forum, you have no excuse not to know.

You obviously prepared your self for a long 12 hour wait, you could have taken 30 minutes to call or read to insure that everything was in order before you decided to bring family of 4 to the store.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Apparently you aren't macrumors ready... Did you miss the "Please rant here" sticky at the top of the first page???

8. Dr Lu 2010 macrumors member

lol..pwned

9. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

LOL.....pwned!

10. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Wow, I have been following the iPhone 3G launch closely and I never heard of the 3 per family plan limit. Next month, I plan on adding the fourth iphone (already have two 3G, one 2G) to my family plan when it is upgrade eligible. Is this 3 per family plan limit just a launch day limit, or a limit on all accounts permanently? That's going to be a huge disappointment if I can't go and get iPhone 3G for the other person on our family plan.

Steve

11. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

They should have posted the details on the windows for everyone.

If it's 1 per person in line, then what does it matter how many for a family plan? I'd understand if one person in line would have a limit of 3 for a family plan, but if the 4 of you were there, then why not.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It wasn't one companies fault

AT&T and Apple both had bad, bad days to start off

13. JBLinkinsop thread starter macrumors newbie

eat me.

Well, I am far from an apple fanatic that blogs every 5 seconds or "checks the boards" I am a consumer that should have been informed on at&t's website or apples website.

14. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

actually, according to this image from AT&T's website, your were correct - I understand it as there are 2 iPhones minimum in the family plan with up to 3 additional lines bringing the total to 5. or am I mis-reading something?

Attached Files:

15. relevant macrumors newbie

relevant

According to the previous post, a maximum of 5 iphones can be purchased within a family plan, which an at&t store rep. told my dad and I when we went 2 weeks ago when the pricing/details of the plans came out. My family will be getting 4 iphones, so the original poster was right all along.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I found the answer to this in the first page of a Google "AT&T iPhone limit" search about 4 or 5 times. The others were from last year or limits on 3G speed.

You couldn't have called AT&T to ask such a question? You couldn't have searched this forum or asked a question? It has nothing to do with posting every 5 seconds. It has to do with taking 90 seconds to research before you commit half a day of time-wasting to getting a phone you could probably hit a store for tomorrow.

17. minik macrumors 65816

I'm curious. What's the number of your spot? At the local Apple Store, I went over at 9pm-ish and there were no line. I came back at 4am, there were 10 people in front of me.