Carrier AT&T. What's the best way to save money with a family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHavequestions, Jan 19, 2014.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

My fiancée is about to switch from tmobile to AT&T and we are planning to join a family together. I know they pay her $450 to join and I oiled get a monthly discount correct? I currently pay $104 for a plan that includes 5gb data, unlimited texting and 450 talk minutes.

2. 617aircav Suspended

Trying to save money and moving to AT&T does not compute.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Call AT&T and ask them. I think they may have discontinued the family plans and only offer the Mobile Share plans now.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Best way to save money on AT&T?

Get the lowest data plan and don't use data.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. Prise macrumors regular

This cracked me up! :D

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Is there still a discount if you aren't oiled? :D I keed.

Anyway, too many variables and that's their plan for us to keep our wallets open.and upside down. AT&T Next, subsidies, plans if you own your phone, shared data... It's crazy and you'll be at the mercy of the expertise of the person helping you.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't like oily discounts...too slick for me

9. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

If you want to save money then you can sacrifice service with the lower end networks like T-Mobile and Sprint. For AT&T and Verizon, quality costs I'm afraid.

10. keitarou macrumors 6502

Quality depends on location. Let's not forget that. Verizon and AT&T doesn't have quality everywhere in the country. In some places, they are worse than Sprint/T-Mobile. And coverage everywhere doesn't mean everything to most people.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Everybody has their favorite story where this square inch of land is better served by x carrier than by verizon or ATT.

If a wide swath of coverage across the 4 million square miles of LAND we call the USA is required the big two are the way to go.

12. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

The new Shared Value plans its now $130/mo for 10GB shared data, 2 smart phones, Unlimited talk/text, and mobile hotspot/tethering.

13. keitarou macrumors 6502

People don't care that X and Y carrier has coverage in the desert (using an extreme example). To most people it matters that Z carrier works better for less in their square inch of land.

I won't argue that the big two has better covered land. It's true. To say the big two has better quality in general isn't true. Location is a big factor. In the rural area's the big two is the best. Urban, not really true. Depends.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Funny you say that. I actually care about the bolded. And up and down the west coast and up and down the east coast and the southwest and the southeast and mid-central.

It's just as important as z carrier works in my square inch of land and the other square inches as mentioned above. I think there might be others who think like that also, else VZW wouldn't be in business.

15. keitarou macrumors 6502

Absolutely. There are others who think like you and there are those who think like me. Hence you have VZW or AT&T and I have T-Mobile. I value savings more than coverage in the desert. If/when AT&T and Verizon is able to offer their "coverage" at a reasonable price, then I would consider them again. Right now, T-Mobile works well for my needs and price. I don't travel up and down the country by car. If anything I go around in a plane. The places I go, even the desert of Las Vegas, has great T-Mobile service. Quality is in the eye of the beholder.

If I were you, I would have Verizon as well. Living in NYC, and having used all 4 carriers in the last 2 years, T-Mobile right now is the best for me. Verizon had coverage but dl speeds in the low 1 mbps on LTE in Manhattan. AT&T... same. Sprint.... well... waste of money. T-Mobile, best coverage and speed in this area right now.

16. Prise macrumors regular

Precisely!

When I started working and had to travel across different areas of the country, I used Verizon, especially since CDMA had more reliable phone service at the time, when I simply couldn't afford dropped calls.

Fast forward to today, where my travel is no longer inter or intra State, but from large urban cities to large cities abroad, T-Mobile is a much better option, especially with int'l roaming.

These days, since I spend all of my time and travel to urban areas where all 4 carriers have an abundance of coverage, I couldn't care less whether there's coverage in the desert, down the creek, or that suburban shopping mall.

If where I am changes, I'll re-evaluate, but until then, coverage areas in "X" is just background noise, as far as I'm concerned.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

I haven't done a speedtest in my office, which is in mid-town Manhattan, but I will. I actually do not have any speed issues in NYC.

And when you said the desert, I mean between cities not in Las Vegas and in the southwest in general...out in the boonies where I tend to do. That is the reason, for me, I'm sticking with Verizon.

18. bobright macrumors 601

$30 for 2 smartphones that are unlocked or paid full in retail. If not they are 40 each line on top of the $100. I'll be getting the 2GB Mobile Share for 2 lines since we don't use much data. It'll be 40 a line subsidized though.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Many / most people will qualify for a $25 credit that lowers the cost of a phone to $15. I was on an unlimited plan under contract.

Existing customers (two year service agreement & no annual service contract customers) who were already on a Mobile Share Value 10GB or higher plan or who migrated to a plan prior to 2/2/14 will receive the $25 Mobile Share Value savings credit discount.

20. bobright macrumors 601

If you are sticking with your old phone though right? or if you bought it in full and it has no annual contract

21. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I like to talk AND surf at the same time on my 5s.

I like 10gb a month when I only use about 3.

I like paying $130 a month now versus over $200 for the last several years with basically the same amount of lines.

I like the NEXT program because now I am not going to ever have to check my "Upgrade Availability" again.

I like 25mb/second here in Miami.

I like a constant 80-100% signal strength.

I LOVE that AT&T has joined the competition legitimately and is now kissing it's subscriber's asses to keep them.

Ain't competition good???

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Correct. I'm using the same phone which is on contract.