AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot + MyWi + iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by timotheezz, Apr 28, 2010.

1. timotheezz macrumors regular

Is it possible to use an AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot (say Starbucks) with my iPhone, then use that connection in conjunction with the jailbreak app MyWi in order to have Wi-Fi onto the iPad?

I guess my question boils down to: can MyWi "recycle" a Wi-Fi connection? Currently at work with no Wi-Fi to test of any sort.

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Nope.

3. oren1 macrumors member

I hope i understood your question correctly.
    You can create a wifi hotspot with mywi and tether your iPad with your iPhone. That's why we jailbreak our phones... No need for iPad 3g model ;)

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

He wants to Connect to the At&t Wifi with the iPhone and share that to the iPad Wifi.

5. timotheezz thread starter macrumors regular

I know we can use our iPhone's 3G connection as a means for transmitting Wi-Fi. My question was whether we can use a Wi-Fi connection and re-transmit using MyWi for use with the iPad.

I'm only asking because if I were to walk into a Barnes & Noble, yes I can receive Wi-Fi because I have a 3G plan on my iPhone. But can I harness that Wi-Fi using MyWi so that my iPad can get Wi-Fi? Obviously, if I attempted to connect to B&N's Wi-Fi straight up, I wouldn't be able to because I don't have a 3G plan on it.

It's a little hard to word this question -- I'm brain farting over here :p

Edit: ViViDboarder beat me to it, and he only used one sentence! lol

6. dread macrumors 6502a

No because miwi is using the wifi antennna to broadcast so it can't receive. However, this thing flies using the 3G connection.

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea... By the way I answered this in one word in post number 2 :p

8. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

Yeah MyWi only connects to the 3G on the Iphone and then broadcasts wifi to whatever you want to connect to it....So its 3G to Wifi...not wifi to wifi.