AT&T Wi-Fi Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cingularpat, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cingularpat macrumors newbie

Alright so this my first post, but it's a question that's been bothering me. I work for AT&T Mobility and get a cell phone line with all the goodies on it. One of those is Free Wi-Fi access at their hotspots. Now it's to my understanding that the Windows folks can simply access this service with the AT&T Communication Manager software - which is obviously not available for Mac OS. So other than running Boot Camp everytime I want to use a AT&T hotspot, what's the solution? Anybody else come up with this problem??

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

WiFi is platform-agnostic. Mac, PC, iPhone, doesn't matter. Just add the SSID (if it's not broadcast), password for WEP/WPA if needed, and surf away.

3. cingularpat thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that simple. Getting on the network is no problem. But then, like most pay-for hotspots, it asks for a user name an password once you start browsing the web, which I do not have. So what I was wondering is if anyone else had tried to login to one of these hotspots with their Mac before and if so, how they accomplished it.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Once again, it's not the machine, it's the authentication. You require credentials because it's a secure network, and networks are not tied to processor or OS or brand.

You answered your own question by mentioning username & password. It's the same if you want to use a T-Mobile hotspot or anyone else's. It's just a subscription-based service. The WiFi at Northwest World Clubs is the same, except the password is provided free to members, merely to prevent poaching.

If you're given a free account as an employee, then they need to provide you with your username & password, that's all.