Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daraj

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
i really dont know why some people couldnt get it to work!! its been working for me since first IOS 9 was released.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
i really dont know why some people couldnt get it to work!! its been working for me since first IOS 9 was released.
The feature is not automatically provisioned on every account. Don't know why but I know its not because I had to chat with support during the beta period, put in a ticket and wait about 10 days to have the feature setup and added to my account. They told me how many days it would take and it took exactly that and it works but it was not an automatic process in my case. Until the account change my phone said it was not available in my area but I knew others had it working. So, its ready to go from a technology perspective but its not available to everyone yet from an account perspective.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
The feature is not automatically provisioned on every account. Don't know why but I know its not because I had to chat with support during the beta period, put in a ticket and wait about 10 days to have the feature setup and added to my account. They told me how many days it would take and it took exactly that and it works but it was not an automatic process in my case. Until the account change my phone said it was not available in my area but I knew others had it working. So, its ready to go from a technology perspective but its not available to everyone yet from an account perspective.

Is it really 100% ready for primetime? I have it, and every few calls I hear them clearly, but they hear nothing at all.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Is it really 100% ready for primetime? I have it, and every few calls I hear them clearly, but they hear nothing at all.
Well...I didn't say it was 100%. I too have had a few calls come in while WiFi calling was active that had one-way audio. I hung up and called back and completed the call. I hope this is taken care of sooner than later but the alternative, and the reason for having WiFi calling is because the cell signal is weak or non existent. The ability to make the call in the end is possible in areas it may not have been before but 100%, I can't through my personal use say it is.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Well...I didn't say it was 100%. I too have had a few calls come in while WiFi calling was active that had one-way audio. I hung up and called back and completed the call. I hope this is taken care of sooner than later but the alternative, and the reason for having WiFi calling is because the cell signal is weak or non existent. The ability to make the call in the end is possible in areas it may not have been before but 100%, I can't through my personal use say it is.

Yeah, my office is in Manhattan, in the middle of a big building in the financial district. I have almost no signal, so I was very happy to be in the beta, as I've spent years without having a signal. I love it, but it's not fully ready, but I'm happy with it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Now, I just want to know if its going to be extended to the 5s. I've beaten this drum a lot, but there's no reason on the phone side why it can't be. Any limitations are only going to be on AT&T's side of the equation. Main reason for wanting it is that our home is in a poor coverage area. A new tower is scheduled to begin operation 2-3 miles away in the spring, so maybe that'll help me too.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I was able to turn the option
On in settings and go thru the set up process with the end message saying that wifi calling should be available in a few minutes.

I'm in western MA with an
iPhone 6S.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Well I turned Wifi Calling on about 30 seconds ago. I got a couple of splash screens about wifi calling and limitations of 911 calls. I had to verify my home address for 911. I might change it to my work address because that's where I will use wifi calling most of the time. The wait wasn't as long as I feared (forever). Now to try it tomorrow when I'm in the At&t dead-zone that is my office. How dead, you might ask? So dead my iPhone shows "No service" from the time I walk in until the time I leave and I have been putting my iPhone 6 in airplane mode to keep itself from committing batterycide trying to find a signal.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Available in MA :)))) ios 9.0.2 Entered 911 address, said it is going to be available in a few minutes. still wifi symbol without vowifi

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Att vowifi only when you are in low signal zone. To force it turn on airplane mode-> turn on wifi and you get vowifi. Just made my 1st call. Great quality BTW.

Reactions: r0k and danny8200

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
On iPhone 6s Plus (with the sim the phone came with) and I get the following error: "We can't turn on wifi calling for your account." And then it says to call customer care... Any ideas?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Anyone know if wifi calling will work while international???

I'm pretty sure one of the disclaimers I hit "agree" to said something about using gps to detect when you are using international wifi so At&t can stick it to you for international calling, unlike Tmo who (used to at least) ignore calls made on wifi for billing purposes.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Att vowifi only when you are in low signal zone. To force it turn on airplane mode-> turn on wifi and you get vowifi. Just made my 1st call. Great quality BTW.

This is such a relief. I've been using airplane mode at work because we have no signal and I was leaving at 20% battery. Now I can turn on airplane mode and wifi and still make calls without running down my battery as much as I would if I left the cellular radio on to spend all day searching for something that's not there.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
So this thing turns on only when reception is low? It's been on steady ever since i forced turned it on.
I played with vowifi. It turns on when signal is - 108 -110 db (one bar), after that it stays till you off wifi or leave wifi area. Hand off works great. I turned off wifi during call, was transfered to volte. I walked away from my router, call was handed off to volte without problems.

Reactions: r0k and heathpitts

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I now want to find a way to block cellular service in my house so it's always on. Anyone know of a way to block just AT&T frequencies, without blocking others (portable phones/radio/wifi/...)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.