Carrier AT&T Wifi vs Microcell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericgtr12, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I originally purchased the AT&T Microcell because of a low signal in my house, averages around 2 bars, which caused the batteries to drain fast on me and my wife's iPhones. I switched over to Wifi yesterday and it appears that the signal has to be just about dead before it will kick in, so far it hasn't came on once. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. solodogg macrumors 6502

AT&T set it to where it only enables when needed, so the phone will still prefer cellular connectivity. It seems to enable somewhere between 1-2 dots of LTE service (haven't been able to figure out exactly what value in dBm). If you switch your phone to airplane mode, enable wifi, give it a chance to show AT&T Wi-Fi in the status bar, then turn off airplane mode...it seems to stick.

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Just drop your number from the microcell settings if you want it to switch to wifi instead. I'll keep my microcell for a while still since not all the phones and guest phones will do wifi calling and I can always add a guest to the microcell if they are on att.

4. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I just turned it off, do I have to drop the number?

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

No, but simply removing the number allows one to keep using the mcell with other phones that cannot do wifi calling.