AT&T will forcibly add tethering to some accounts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smithrh, Apr 28, 2011.

1. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

Duh? This has been talked about for the better part of 2 months

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Little late there, OP. As long you don't break the rules, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

To be fair to the OP, the story he posted was from yesterday, and talks about how AT&T is sending out a second set of threats.

But yes, if you are using your iPhone to tether without using AT&T tethering plan, they may stick you on it shortly.

5. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yes, I'm talking about the second round of threats.

AT&T seems to have escalated matters here - I don't recall AT&T saying they'd plunk tethering on your plan before.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

the text on that report says 'planning' ; I believe you and the reporter are reading too much into it.

7. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

I disagree - in this context "planning" means "we're about to" add it to your account.

This is a pretty hard line for a company to take - which is why I decided to post this. It's not just detection of tethering, it's the confidence that their detection technique is robust enough to start plunking down some pretty hefty charges on a lot of accounts.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Not really, planning requires steps by the sides involved to be approved before the actual change in product can happen. A text message is not an official way to tell customers about final changes in plans; they have to be in writing to official address of the customer and with specific dates before they take on.

9. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I believe you may be wrong about this. The unlimited data plan on AT&T was made for smartphones. They took it away before they allowed tethering on the iPhone. When they came out with a tethering plan they made it clear that customers who wanted to tether needed to be on their tethering plan. They have already told customers they need this plan. Some, who jailbreak, do not listen to this, and as such, I don't even think AT&T should be sending warnings to these people, they should just switch them.

BUT to be fair, AT&T did send the text about two months ago saying to call them to discuss the situation. If someone is getting the second warning that they will be changed, I don't think AT&T needs to offer them a date it will be changed, it should just be done.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

My rebuttal is that a txt message is not an official mode of contact to legally change a contract. :cool:

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Unlike a written letter, AT&T can be confident that whoever the account holder happens to be has definitely received the message. The message is sent directly to the recipient, and AT&T has proof that the message was sent/received by the recipient; records of this contact can be pulled up as necessary, just like phone records requested by arbitrary/official sources (ie, FBI, detective, etc...).

In this day and age, one can never be too certain. It may just be a scare tactic by AT&T, and they may not have the power to legally make such changes through this method of contact. Or, it could be grounds set by AT&T for actions they may choose to take in the future should that option be/come available.

-C

Sent from my iPad

12. Vizin, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, when you get the text message, you can arbitrate that matter with AT&T.

Until someone actually does that and we see the results, we're just a bunch of non-lawyers speculating.