AT&T Will Not Offer Insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Siron, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I had the AT&T insurance on my Razr when it first came out but when I got my iPhone they dropped it because it was over $200. I just asked the AT&T CSR if they would be offering it again and they said no. I guess it's not a case of being less than $200 but the distinct possibility of it being stolen more so than their other (less then $200) phones.

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

has nothing to do with being stolen, it has everything to do with all the scammers who use to make false claims to get phones and then sell them. not sure if you remember but when you made an insurance claim before they sent you a new phone, with a retail box and everything, all accessories etc. then they started sending them in white box oem format with nothing. and eventually they took away insurance entirely, and then only certain phones were eligible, even the razr when it came out was not eligible for insurance

3. TheFam macrumors member

This is why I'm buying my insurance from Apple, not At&T, when I pick up my iphone on the 11th.

4. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

yeah but isnt that only for mechanical defect? not for if you drop it and crack a screen or anything is it?

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You sure about that? my GF's new Razr (upgraded 4/2008) literally broke apart about 4 weeks ago. We put an insurance claim out on it, they sent us a box with a new phone with instructions to send the old phone back within 10 days, otherwise we pay the full (unsubsidized) cost of the Razr.

So they still send you a phone in a retail box, but when you get it, the countdown starts before you get charged for the new phone (and it gets tacked onto your phone bill).

BL.

6. kevinwiz macrumors regular

apple doesn't sell insurance

7. tritonj macrumors 6502a

he was talking about a stolen phone, in which case you have nothing to send back.

8. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Because of scammers we all get treated like scammers.All phones have scammers but other companies dont take away the insurance.To me it sounds like there scamming.Your phone is stolen or broken by mistake you get to buy another one.More money for them.(How can i have my iphone insured by apple.I would like to know how to do that because of the type of work i do.My phone is always in danger).

9. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

i believe u can just put the iphone on ure homeowners insurance, like jewelry and stuff like that. Its not that much per month.

10. joytime365 macrumors newbie

Sounds good idea.

11. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

State Farm said it costs $25/year to insure the iPhone. Covers loss, theft, dropping it, flushing it in a toilet, etc. It works just like their jewelry policy. It's a PDA/cell phone policy they offer. I found this out AFTER I dropped and broke my first iPhone.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That's AppleCare -- completely distinct from insurance. AppleCare will not get you a new iPhone if you lose it, if you break it, or it gets stolen.

13. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I'm having flashbacks on the THOUSANDS of posts last year from people adding their iPhones to their home owners insurance policies.... Charge the phone on your Amex card is your best bet... at least you will get insurance for the first 90 days against theft or damage.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, it'll be going on my renter's insurance. It's stupid not to. I covered my MacBook Pro, 50" Plasma, and current iPhone on my renter's insurance which costs me $100 per year.

15. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Yea, but if you deductible is 500.00, its not going to help you much....

16. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Yep, and some of us have larger policies.

Such as it costs me about $50 a month to insure the inside structure of my Condo and $100,000 in item coverage. So the deductible is $500, which is nothing if the place burns down or I'm robbed of everything. But even if it was lower, you would not want to waste the few claims you have on small things before you get black listed and dropped by everyone (usually 3 times before they just won't cover you.)

Happened to my dad and his home insurance. A few claims, I think 3 of them in 2 years or so. First the house was egged, so needed new paint. Something else. Then the final straw was a claim on the backyard fencing that was falling apart. And claiming that caused them to drop his policy and then you find it impossible for anyone else to take you.

17. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Buy the phone on a American Express card... Insurance for free ;)

18. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

What kind of standard warranty does the iPhone come with? A year, less? Amex would extend that 1 year I guess. But it wouldn't help if you dropped it or it was stolen.

19. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

iPhones (and all apple products) have a 1 year warranty. But, Amex will reimburse you for items purchased with their card if it is lost/stolen/broken during the first 90 days. You are limited to 2 or 3 claims per year per card. They will also refund you the difference if there is a price drop.