at&t will require new sims with LTE! Got a bad feeling about $30 unlimited data!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

There is no correlation between sim cards and data plans. I've technically received a new sim card everytime I've bought a new iPhone, and I still have my unlimited data plan.

That isn't to say that Apple may not grandfather the plan in with the switch to LTE, but the sim card has nothing to do with.

EDIT: That article is also 6 months old. Welcome to 2011! :p

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd be very surprised if ATT lets the grandfathered iPhone unlimited plans on their new LTE network!

4. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

think iphone 2G going to 3G. different sim different more expensive data plan

5. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I would imagine that ATT will come up with some way to kick us off the unlimited plans eventually.

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It has nothing to do with the sim card.

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

its because with the first iphone the subsidy was on the data plan and not the phone. even back then on 2g, the unlimited data plan for smart phones was $30, ask anyonee who had a treo or blackberry back then.

8. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Yeah this makes no sense-I went from my '3g s' to the iPhone 4 with microsim card-I still have my unlimited data plan.

9. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

YOu really think att will let you take the unlimited plan to att LTE ? LOL!

10. ipxmbx macrumors member

While we know the speed is not at either 4G or LTE yet, I just bought an HTC Inspire 4G to replace my Captivate on my other AT&T line with unlimited data plan.

I'm also a Verizon customer, I get the feeling that they will take the lead and be the first to kill off unlimited data. Tiered pricing is in our future. Once Verizon was the first to jack up the ETF to $350, AT&T followed. I expect they will also be the first to jack up data to tiered pricing.

Traditionally, Verizon is the most expensive.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

My Atrix came with the newer 4G branded SIM card.
    Still got to keep my Unlimited plan too.

12. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I was wondering why AT&T all of a sudden started trying to meticulously monitor customers data usage and send those "you've been ousted" messages.

Now with the LTE coming, they may still want to "grandfather" but with much less unlimited users. They may be trying to stay away from huge backlash from just taking customers off because of new technology.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you know what SIM stands for? "subscriber identification module"

It identifies your phone to the network, i.e., authorizes access. It has nothing to do with data plans. Verizon and ATT's LTE's implementation calls for SIM cards just like GSM uses one. Just look at ATT now, they stopped the unlimited data plan yet did not switch to a new SIM card? Data plans are SIM cards are completely unrelated.

14. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

15. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Regardless if they do or not, it doesn't depend on it having a new SIM.

16. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

No way they will let you on att with a grandfathered contract. This is their big get to have people transition over.

17. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

It's going to cost $.50 to load a web page on LTE. :rolleyes:

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Not if they don't want to deal with lawyers...

They can entice you (with speeds), but they can't force you.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So you think they're storing the 3G chip on the SIM card? You have some pretty radical ideas, is there a newsletter I could subscribe to?

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

All they'd really have to do is change the service agreement, once you sign the new one (renewing contract, any change to your current plan, etc.) you're off.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sure they can.

Well, they can't force you to break your current contract. But that's only for 2 years. Once it's over they're perfectly within their rights to say "Well, that's over. We're not renewing that contract, you need to pick a new up-to-date plan."

I don't think they'll do that*, but they'd certainly be ok legally to do that.

* I think they'll simply do what the OP suggests...want LTE? Get a new plan! The number of unlimited iPhone users is only going to shrink more each year. There's no real need for them to force anyone off.

22. edk99 macrumors 6502a

When your contract is up they can do WHATEVER they want. Like Interstella5555 said they can change their terms of service. They can drop the unlimited plan and tell you that starting next month you will be converted to a capped plan. If you want to use their service you will not have a choice.

23. mpossoff macrumors 68020

As soon as VZW stops unltd data I have a feeling AT&T will end grandfathered unltd data when contracts are up.

24. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh I know, but I meant if you wanted to stay on 3G and not use 4G. But then again, at&t probably won't let you buy an iPhone 5/6 without subscribing to the 4G plans...ah well.

25. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

They can do whatever they want after it ends, sure, but theyre not going to. When was the last time a carrier said "Now pay these extra fees or get out"?