Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Right. Although my plan is from the former AT&T, even before Cingular bought the AT&T wireless division.

As far as whether I could duplicate it with another carrier, I don't think that I can, though I haven't really looked into it very deep. For the most part I'm fairly satisfied with AT&T.

The only reason I asked was whether it was one of those plans that was too good, and that's why you are worried ATT will take it away. You could always call customer service and inquire as to whether you would be required to choose a different plan. My guess though is that you are not set up in the same way as someone who has already bought a new phone from AT&Tingular, as those people (even in grandfathered plans) probably already have newer SIMs and such; the system might not let you re-register your old plan on a new SIM.

I know ATT "Blue" had a lot of integration issues and my gut is that you're probably right on about being stuck for an upgrade. If your plan is such a great deal that you can't get it replicated on (imho) ATT's current excellent plans, then they are probably just looking for a reason to trap you.

What are the details of your plan that it's so great? Do you get all the current ATT benefits like mobile to mobile? If minutes are your issue, have you thought about going with a higher plan than you need and banking the rollover? Just curious what keeps you from changing.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Thats taking the piss. The customer already owns the phone outright, as doing so, you should be able to choose what network you want to use.

Not having the phone unlocked after your contract is up, is just unbelievable.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am going to disagree with supporting evidence.

1. ATT agreed to an agressive marketing campaign non-typical of Apple and paid for it (mostly).

2. ATT has the most widely deployed data network in the USA, albiet only 2.5G, but with massively improved bandwidth to the cells in advance of iPhone deployment.

3. ATT and Cingular merged and together they have massive traditional phone market share and retail presence. Both also have excellent consumer mindshare and phone and internet market presence.

4. EDGE is a compromise as compared to 3G or 4G, or as deployed in China, 5G. Yep. But we do in fact, live in the USA with all its limitatons. That said, EDGE is WIDELY deployed mainly in support of DoD operations in the past 10 years, including in Europe :) :)

Rocketman

I don't give a rats *** how big and powerful they are.

That company wrongfully put a mark on my credit, and took 3 years with countless letters, phone calls, and even legal aid before they dropped it. My lawyer wanted to go for damages, I now wish I had. They did the same thing to 2 of my friends (something I didn't know at the time).

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Even though he would just be adding the data portion...I don't think they are going to let him keep the old plan and will want to convert to the new more expensive voice plans...you could call and ask...but I would post your specific question again and see if anyone else has successfully done what you hope to do...

Has anyone who has an old Cingular Blue plan...been able to keep it when upgrading to the Iphone. My bet is that no one has but I could be wrong.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
yes, as long as it's not the primary number. I'm on a family plan with four phones, mine being the third line. The only aditional cost was the service plan.

I don't think that's right. My wife got an iPhone. It cost us the $20 data plan upcharge, and that's it. And hers is the primary number.

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
I sure hope so

I just got my upgrade phone today (and plan on selling it right quick), and ordered an iPhone. Mine is the primary number on our family plan, so I sure hope that I can register the iPhone to it. Please, please!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Just a recap of U.S. law on unlocking phones:

The telco may not take legal action to prevent someone from unlocking a phone (basically, unlocking a cell phone is *NOT* a violation of the DMCA.)

The telco, however, is under no obligation whatsoever to assist in unlocking the phone. While most providers will do so if you ask, they are under no obligation whatsoever to do it. Hence AT&T is free to not unlock the iPhone if they desire not to.

Apple has the same limitations. They can't sue anyone for 'cracking' the carrier lock, but they don't have to provide any assistance at all. (And they are even free to release an update that re-establishes the lock, if I read the law correctly.)

Of course, I Am Not A Lawyer.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
since were in the topic of unlocking phones i got the iphone but before that me and my mom got 2 motorola slvr would you guys think its possible to call at&t and ask them for the unlock code or w/e? i mean i have these two phones and i go to europe alot and i would like to use them in europe.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Knda retarded. I know I'll probably still keep an iPhone going (v2 probably) 2 years from now, but I'd like to be able to keep my present iPhone without it shutting off due to AT&T's policies.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Of course, since the iPhone is currently a GSM/EDGE phone, your only other significant choice of domestic U.S. carrier would be T-mobile. Not much of a threat from AT&T's perspective, especially since T-mobile will probably be unable to provide some of the services (e.g. visual voicemail) that AT&T provides for Apple's iPhone.

Wake me when the iPhone goes 3G.

:apple:

Actually SunCom is pretty big too.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
I just got my upgrade phone today (and plan on selling it right quick), and ordered an iPhone. Mine is the primary number on our family plan, so I sure hope that I can register the iPhone to it. Please, please!

This has nothing to do with locking and unlocking ... you'll be able to use your phone number

nuhusky001

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
Same situation as Snowy...

Hey guys, I'm in the same situation as Snowy. I have a ATT Wireless plan (Before cingular merge) and its so cheap its not funny. I guess i was one of the customers that got those ridiculous deals to increase their customer base so they will get more money when someone bought them.

Anyway, I pay $53 a month for a family plan. This includes two lines, 450 min of shared time, unlimited mobile to mobile mins, nights and weekends start at 7pm for both lines. And that includes taxes. So the equivalent plan in todays choices is probably $60(cheapest plan) + $10(extra line) + $17 (early 7pm family talk for both lines) so.. $87 + taxes. I figure I'm saving $40 a month by keeping my plan.

I called ATT and they said my plan was NOT eligible for the iphone plus i would lose my 8% discount with my wife's work. So, screw that... I wanted to buy a referb iphone for 400 ... now i have to keep buying unlocked phones from amazon or someone... and they cost around $200-300. I want the iphone unlocked! Come on guys.. you can do it!

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Hey guys, I'm in the same situation as Snowy. I have a ATT Wireless plan (Before cingular merge) and its so cheap its not funny. I guess i was one of the customers that got those ridiculous deals to increase their customer base so they will get more money when someone bought them.

Anyway, I pay $53 a month for a family plan. This includes two lines, 450 min of shared time, unlimited mobile to mobile mins, nights and weekends start at 7pm for both lines. And that includes taxes. So the equivalent plan in todays choices is probably $60(cheapest plan) + $10(extra line) + $17 (early 7pm family talk for both lines) so.. $87 + taxes. I figure I'm saving $40 a month by keeping my plan.

I called ATT and they said my plan was NOT eligible for the iphone plus i would lose my 8% discount with my wife's work. So, screw that... I wanted to buy a referb iphone for 400 ... now i have to keep buying unlocked phones from amazon or someone... and they cost around $200-300. I want the iphone unlocked! Come on guys.. you can do it!

I have an iPhone as my secondary line on a current AT&T family-talk plan with 550 minutes of shared talk time. The total is $50(family-talk) + $10(extra line) + $20(iPhone data plan) + tax - discount on first line, or around $75. That doesn't include the 7pm nights and weekends deal, but it still includes my work discount on the primary line which carries the $50 of the bill. Without iPhone, it would be around $55 a month.

I say it's worth it for me, since the extra 100 minutes and 200 text messages more than makes up for the 7PM deal.

BUT, they don't offer the 550 minute plan directly with iPhone... they start at 700 minutes. I had to go in the day before and get put on the 550 plan, and then buy the iPhone and add the $20 data plan. The 700 minute plan costs an extra $10.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

A USA Today article discusses the practice of locking cell phones to providers. Apple's iPhone, for example, is "locked" to AT&T and can not easily be used with other cell phone providers.

AT&T's Jim Cicconi offers an interesting comment that AT&T will "gladly unlock" a customer's phone once the contract has been fulfilled. Apple's iPhone requires a 2 year contract with AT&T.

Article Link

Yeah, especially interesting considering paying the $150 cancellation fee legally fulfills your commitment to the contract.

snourse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
ATT 5 yr lock-in- does it cover all future iPhones?

Have they actually made the agreement public? Does it cover just the first iPhone or all iPhones?

Can apple make iPhone 2.0 work with other providers?

Or, when the iPod gets multitouched- how about an iPod+ with phone/internet capabilities?

Then again- perhaps the agreement covers any Apple products with phone capabilities. The fine print would be interesting...

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
well that would be great if it where true considering AT&T just sent my friend a $4,000 bill cause he used his iPhone in Russia. Now yes it wasn't smart of him to do that but if it where unlocked hopefully he could get a sim card over there and boom! International iPhone!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If you've been with AT&T for so many years, why are you afraid of signing up for a 2 year contract? I've been with Cingular for four years now, and for as much trouble as they are, I didn't see any point in switching in the next 2 years, so I got an iPhone.

Also, they HAVE to unlock your phone after 2 years. Federal regulation. The cell companies just don't like to advertise it, but legally, once your 2 year contract is over with, they have to tell you (if you ask) either how to unlock your phone yourself or you have to send it in to them and let them unlock it.

M

The only federal regulations regarding unlocked phones is that your carrier or manufacturer cannot stop you from doing it. Some company whined about phone unlocking and said it was a DMCA violations, and then the fed said no, it isn't, and it's perfectly legal to unlock it. But, there is absolutely no regulation that I'm aware of that requires a carrier to unlock it for you.

I must say, after reading this, I love T-Mobile's unlock policy. After being a customer for 90 days, as long as your bill is paid up, they'll unlock your phone. No questions asked. And then you can get an unlock code from them every 90 days for any T-Mobile locked phone, even if it's not one you purchased through them directly (like if you bought it off eBay or something). AT&T's stupid policy is one of the many reasons I refuse to ever go back to them.

Also, be prepared for ATT to eventually just boot you off your plan if they can. They are cracking down HARD on TDMA holdovers and making their lives miserable so they can shut down the TDMA network. Next step is probably legacy plans.

Here's a question though: could your current plan even be duplicated on another carrier, or is it that good? Just curious.

It's quite possible he's on an old AT&T GSM plan. I was on one for a bit until we converted to Cingular right after the merger (big mistake that was, but I digress)

Littlebit

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
I must say, after reading this, I love T-Mobile's unlock policy. After being a customer for 90 days, as long as your bill is paid up, they'll unlock your phone. No questions asked. And then you can get an unlock code from them every 90 days for any T-Mobile locked phone, even if it's not one you purchased through them directly (like if you bought it off eBay or something).

<OFF TOPIC> Unless it's a Sidekick.</OFF TOPIC>

Not that I care...my Sidekick 3 and its (then) expired T-Mobile contract will be dead and gone a week from tomorrow. iPhone, here I come! (however what yg17 is true...hubby has a Razr and T-mobile had no issues giving him the unlock key via email a few days ago. The T-Mobile rep said they were sorry to see us go but understood our reasoning :))

chevitron

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2007
Maybe is Apple through iTunes who unlocks the phone, instead of AT&T...

(sorry if I repeated any other post, I haven't read all).

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I was in the same boat a year ago. I was an ATT customer for four years and after cingular bought them, they basically said "nope you're starting over". I voiced my distaste by moving myself and another customer to verizon.

There are some of us who are in a slightly different situation. I am currently an AT&T customer, and have been for several years. I signed up with AT&T, which was then bought by Cingular, which then (recently) became AT&T again. (Details of this process are being omitted.) I'm still using the same SIM card that I got several years ago. I'm still on the same plan (it's a better plan than I could get now). I don't want to change anything, except, maybe, my phone. But, unless I get an unlocked phone, I've been told that I have to get a new SIM card and a new plan, because current AT&T phones are not compatible with my old SIM card (being locked), and going to a new SIM card necessitates going to a new plan. I'm not happy about this. I don't want to switch providers. I want to continue to be an AT&T customer. I just want to be able to keep the service they've been giving me plus an iPhone. No deal. Not even making it a 2 year contract with the current service (plus data, of course).

So, the only way that I can keep my current service plan is to use an unlocked phone. (It's what I'm doing now. When the phone that I bought with the plan died, I bought a new, unlocked phone off of eBay.)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Also, they HAVE to unlock your phone after 2 years. Federal regulation. The cell companies just don't like to advertise it, but legally, once your 2 year contract is over with, they have to tell you (if you ask) either how to unlock your phone yourself or you have to send it in to them and let them unlock it.

It's been said twice (once by me,) but I'll provide some links now.

No, they cannot sue you for unlocking a cell phone, but they are under no legal obligation whatsoever to do it for you. In addition, it's only legal for 3 years, after which time, the copyright office reviews all "DMCA exemptions" and has to renew them or not. They might decide *NOT* to renew the cell phone unlocking provision, and unlocking a cell phone would become a violation of the DMCA.

Stanford Law School link
Ars Technica link
Law.com link

Nowhere, in any of those articles, does it say anything about the cell phone company being forced to do the unlocking for you. Just that "users can legally unlock their cellular phones." Emphasis on "users".

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
EDGE Is Terrible.

I am going to disagree with supporting evidence.

1. ATT agreed to an agressive marketing campaign non-typical of Apple and paid for it (mostly).

2. ATT has the most widely deployed data network in the USA, albiet only 2.5G, but with massively improved bandwidth to the cells in advance of iPhone deployment.

3. ATT and Cingular merged and together they have massive traditional phone market share and retail presence. Both also have excellent consumer mindshare and phone and internet market presence.

4. EDGE is a compromise as compared to 3G or 4G, or as deployed in China, 5G. Yep. But we do in fact, live in the USA with all its limitatons. That said, EDGE is WIDELY deployed mainly in support of DoD operations in the past 10 years, including in Europe :) :)

Rocketman

"massively improved bandwidth" and "EDGE" don't belong in the same sentence. Face it, EDGE is TERRIBLE. period.. I'm sick of people making excuses for Apple and the Iphone. AT&Ts 3G coverage is absolutely pathetic and Apple not at least including a UMTS/HSDPA radio in the Iphone for future network upgrades is just as bad.

This could have been done MUCH BETTER.

At&T with a year or two lead-time on the Iphone launch undertakes a massive network upgrade and gets their 3G coverage into the top 100 markets. Correspondingly, Apple has to make their Iphone a TINY bit thicker but for the "compromise" it gets a UMTS/HSDPA chip @3.6 mbps down/384 kbps up. In other words, the REAL INTERNET !!!

I'll be here browsing on EVDO rev. A at 1200kbps/700kbps until APPLE and AT&T get their Sh*t together...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
"massively improved bandwidth" and "EDGE" don't belong in the same sentence. Face it, EDGE is TERRIBLE. period.. I'm sick of people making excuses for Apple and the Iphone. AT&Ts 3G coverage is absolutely pathetic and Apple not at least including a UMTS/HSDPA radio in the Iphone for future network upgrades is just as bad.

This could have been done MUCH BETTER.

At&T with a year or two lead-time on the Iphone launch undertakes a massive network upgrade and gets their 3G coverage into the top 100 markets. Correspondingly, Apple has to make their Iphone a TINY bit thicker but for the "compromise" it gets a UMTS/HSDPA chip @3.6 mbps down/384 kbps up. In other words, the REAL INTERNET !!!

I'll be here browsing on EVDO rev. A at 1200kbps/700kbps until APPLE and AT&T get their Sh*t together...

Look, I don't have time to do it for real, but just imagine that everywhere you bashed att i wrote (in your opinion) next to it. ATT is great for me, i have had no major issues. Sorry you do, but dont make blanket statements without at least adding "in my opinion" or "in my area". It just makes you sound like a troll and not someone interested in a real discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.