AT&T won't let me cancel my order?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I want to cancel my order with AT&T because I finally got through on Apple's site, and they won't allow me to cancel the order. Are you kidding me?! And I asked to speak to someone else and he said "No sir".

2. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Do you remember the little part of the process where you agreed to a new contract? Was there a part in there that said you could cancel before delivery? Did you ask somone if you could cancel before delivery or read that you could?

3. atacinus macrumors 6502

Yep...AT&T are pretty much ****tards with this...I ordered from AT&T but doubt it will be delivered on the 24th so I finally got through at Apple. So now I have two phones coming to me...I figure I'll see how much I can get for the second one on craigslist, and if it's not much then I'll just return it to AT&T and get my money back.

4. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

If you do a search on AT&T's website, they clearly say that once an order is received, the shipping process officially begins, so they are unable to cancel orders.

5. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

But the shipping process didn't begin. Are these phones even manufactured yet?

6. bigdaddyjo macrumors member

If you ordered through Premier and have a "Reference Web Order Number" call 1-866-746-1081. If it wasn't a business account I don't know what to tell you, that number will only work if you ordered through Premier.

7. atacinus macrumors 6502

Riiiiiggghhtt...the shipping process begins ;) Umm, no. They don't even have the phones from Apple yet. I mean are they legally allowed to not let you cancel the order and only let you return it to the store/refuse the shipment? Yes....but is it so ***** stupid as to be unreasonable? Yes. Seriously, you can't cancel an order a few hours after it was placed online? With Amazon you can. With Apple you can. With overstock.com you can. Literally all online shops have this option. AT&T is within their legal rights not to offer it, but it's really just stupid, causes more problems for the end-user and makes everyone hate AT&T more than they already did.

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I could write a 10 page essay on ATT incompetence. I spent from 5:30 this morning until about 10 min ago 7pm before I got my order to go through apples site. It was obviously Att's issues as their website was a complete cluster.

There have been three launches prior to this. and the record shows apples products are wildly popular and there is going to be masses fighting to get theirs.

Apple atleast seems to be learning from the past issues and coming up with things like pre order. But ATT rests on its a$$ and when it all goes to hell "wow that was bigger then we thought". is it really a surprise that half the world wants an iphone, i mean come on.

and if i remember correctly:

1st launch: Cluster because it was the first of its kind for apple

2nd launch: a cluster because ATT instituted the activation before you leave the store which BROUGHT AT&T'S SERVERS DOWN!

3rd launch: I believe there were att problems that day as well.

4th Launch: not even the launch, a program designed to bypass the mess of launch day and AT&T F's this up, AGAIN!!!

9. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That's the language that they use on the site. I'll try to find it when the site is up and running again. I can't get in right now.

10. Built macrumors 68020

I never thought I'd say this after being a Sprint refugee in 2007, but AT&T STINKS. I thought nothing could be worse than Sprint.

Apparently, I was wrong!

11. slsl0 macrumors member

You can always just return it as soon as it comes. I did something similar, but I don't even know if my ATT order got through, but Apple already took my money and right now so fat luck for ATT to get 200 from my account with $125. I guess thats why they didnt like debit cards.

12. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I decided to hold out for a white phone so I sought to cancel my order. The lady on the phone this morning (very nice, btw) said it was not possible—that I'd have to refuse the order when it ships. She said there was no mechanism to cancel. I didn't want to argue, so I called back this afternoon.

(Keep in mind, most of the AT&T—and most CS agents in general—are dealing with a TON of people, many, if not most, rude (especially on busy iPhone launches) so they're stressed enough, and they don't often get given information that one might think. (Anyone reading these forums know that reps often know no more (often less) than the average MR reader.) If being polite doesn't work, try later. Most reps I've dealt with try their best, but sometimes they simply don't know what their options are.

So I called back and got a different lady, also very nice. She gave me a phone number for web service (she tried to transfer but her system gave her an error—go figure). Once I called, my order was canceled by a guy I talked to, quickly and easily.

If you need, the contact is this:

1-866-499-8008 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time