AT&T won't unlock my NEXT iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dangerfish, Sep 26, 2015.

1. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Two weeks ago, I paid off both of my iPhone 6's in anticipation of ordering the 6S when it came out. After making the payoff, I then began trying to get my two 6's unlocked using the AT&T unlock website but kept getting denied because "You have not completed all the payments for your device according to your AT&T Next service agreement." My account page says that no more installments are due. I've been calling to speak to customer service and have been given any number of reason for why my phones can't be unlocked:
    1. You have to wait until you activate your new phone
    2. You have to wait until you are out of the 14 day buyers remorse period
    3. ATT doesn't unlock phones because it is illegal
    4. Because I'm on a unified plan with ATT/Directv, they didn't know to put my $800+ in payments towards my Next Phones.

Anybody have any thought on what I can do to get my devices unlocked so I can sell them?

TIA

2. Wise87 macrumors 6502

Options one and two make sense. But then again, you did pay it off two weeks ago and there your to do as you please. Very strange.

3. dangerfish thread starter macrumors 6502

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB425914

The unlock page does say that if you perform an early upgrade, that you must wait the 14 buyer remorse period. Ok, fine. But I began trying to unlock the phones before I ordered the new iPhones so that doesn't make any sense. When I made that known to them, then they said I have to wait 14 days after paying off the plan too which is asinine. I've seen people here on this site that are getting their phones unlocked when they are still making installment payments.

4. Advil macrumors 6502a

AT&T is horrible and I just suck it up and pay someone on eBay to unlock my phones. It sucks but it's easier than dealing with those scumbags.

5. ricktat macrumors 6502a

I argued this with ATT. Their system has no way of reflagging the line with the order. You and I both should have paid them off a month ago and then unlocked and finally pre-order. Lesson for next year.

I too though before I preordered that I just hadn't waited long enough.

6. bronzi macrumors member

FILE FCC complaint. Had same issue last year with ATT making me wait 2 weeks after ordering iPhone 6 to unlock. Got a myriad of calls from ATT senior complaint area in response.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I paid the balances and unlocked 4 phones the same night about a month ago.
    The process was very straight forward.
    If there is an AT&T store near you pay them a visit.
    A store employee told me that sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks for the final payment to register on the account for the unlock. When I did mine it was the day before the billing cycle ended.

Paid the balance
    Requested the unlock
    waited for the email or text
    connected to itunes and it was unlocked

8. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

att.com/deviceunlock

That's how you unlock the phone. AT&T care doesn't do it, you do.