At this point... should I wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wishsong, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Wishsong macrumors regular

So recently, I bought a 2g for my Brother, and now I'm anticipating my own touch. Should I just get one now or wait till september? I don't really know if I want to wait with nothing all summer break lol. All I have is a broken nano....

16gb Touch, or wait for the new one?

2. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I would wait for the new one. That's what I'm doing, although I have a 1G to hold me off until then.

3. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Hold off, you'll probably be able to get a 64GB for the current price of the 32GB if Apple holds to their usual pattern.

4. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

It's so tempting to just go buy one and start using it... MUST RESTRAIN! The wait will be worth it, but the wait is killing me...

5. zachkowalchuk macrumors member

If you don't have a monthly income, I would wait. Well, I can't say that. I just got an 8g 2g on sunday and I don't have monthly income. But time september comes, I'll probably get the new if there is. Because I'll be working by July.

But in all, you should wait.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh I'm with everyone else I have a 1g and I am tempted to upgrade especially with the new 3.0 as it doesn't add much more to the 1g so was thinking 2g purchase but then it's like well 3 months time there will be a new touch so I am going to just sit back and relax with my 1g till a 3rd gen is released I thinks and even then I may wait longer to see if the wonderful dev team can jailbreak it.

7. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

I think they will take like half a year to jailbreak it.. considering how long they took for 2g.. Anyway, I'm not gonna jailbreak anymore. I regretted jbking my ipod touch which I suspected, is responsible for it's lagginess as well as random shut downs and lack of responsiveness..

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, i'm thinking about getting one as well. i'm doing my best to wait though, and i suggest that you wait as well. i do have a 1G though, so it's not like i don't have anything

9. zarathus macrumors newbie

Tricky. I've been waiting for months anyway, and can't wait til Sept - a whole summer with no music player. Will be going for a 32gb. They will have a fairly high eBay resale value anyway in Sept still, so estimating that the cost of ownership for next 3 months likely to be around £70.

10. gordian238 macrumors newbie

There is a new iTouch coming? So it would not be good to spend $399 for a 32GB now? What is due in September?

11. avrpatsfan macrumors member

Same here. I am definatly upgrading as long as it has worthwhile new features.

12. zachkowalchuk macrumors member

Lol, No. Unless you have vast amounts of money to buy stuff with.

Though, Like I said in an earlier post, I bought an 8gb 2g to hold me off until september. I'll be buying 3rd gen in september though. And with the way apple prices things after something comes out, who knows, a 64gb could be the price of the 32gb or cheaper.

13. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, I don't have an Mp3 player at the moment. I'm also going on a few trips over this summer... AGH I can't decide!

14. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Get a refurb shuffle or nano while you wait?

15. bjquach macrumors 6502

Wait for the new one. Should get refreshed in the fall.

16. OSX10.6 macrumors newbie

Apple's pattern is something like this for most iPods.

iPod Touch 2nd Generation
    $259 for 8GB
    $329 for 16GB
    $429 for 32GB

iPod Touch 3rd Generation
    $259 for 16GB
    $329 for 32GB
    $429 for 64GB

This is the same for the iPhone 3G S

17. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

they will be releasing a 64gig ipod touch? source?

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPhone 3Gs was just announced, and that will be 16/32 gigs. iPod touch has always had double the gigs of the iPhone, so it's expected that this year's touch will be 32/64 gigs.

19. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

people also said 64 gig with 2nd gen iPod Touches....... look how that turned out ;) I am sorry but till apple go on record and say 64 gig I wont believe anyone :p

20. McBeats macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna wait till september myself... would be nice to have that 64gb if they do it.

21. jorisaerts1 macrumors newbie

same dilemma here, i only have the old 30 gig ipod video.
    wanna have an ipod touch for so long and i really cant wait.
    but i'm gonna try. you should too

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, those people were idiots. 32GB chips didn't exist back then, so it was impossible.

Now it isn't impossible in the slightest.

23. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Exactly. The iPhone has one memory slot, the iPod touch has two. So based on a 32GB iPhone, then a 64GB touch is highly likely.

I really think Apple is ready to kill the classic as soon as the get enough storage on the touch and I think 64GB might be the point where they say goodbye to the classic.

Plus they want to make sure they stay two-three steps ahead of the Zune HD.

24. jmbill macrumors member

Samsung and Archos have all announced new devices this week to rival the iPod Touch. Many other manufacturers are trying to chase the same market with very similar products - some of which are quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent iPod Touch.

So it's quite possible Apple will use the next refresh to update the storage capacity, perhaps add one or two new features and then bundle the Touch with OS 3.0.

I would not be at all surprised to see a 64GB version. In fact they might be talking about even greater storage capacity if they are trying to phase out the iPod Classic.