AT&Tish question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wayland1985, Jan 7, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I was up in ME this weekend with my new iPhone 3G. I had no service up there, and was low on battery power (Is it just me, or to the iPhones use lots of power when there's no service???).

So, I turned her off, just in case I needed to make a call on the way home.

When I got home, I charged her up, and turned her on. But, there was no service down here either. I shut it off and turned it back on again, but still no service? I tried calling my phone from my house landline, but it gave me a "the subscriber you're trying to reach hasn't set up a voicemail box yet" instantly (I hadn't set up the VM...).

About 5 minutes after that (An hour of total No Service at home), I was greeted with 5bars of 3g...

Was it that AT&T was expecting my phone in Maine, so it couldn't find me in Boston? Or was there an issue with the service? Or is there an issue with my phone????

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Where were you in ME? I live in Portland and have a full 3G connection...

But to answer your question, it probably just took a minute for your iPhone to find a cell tower and reconnect when you got back to Beantown. Nothing to worry about....

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No, it's not just you. When a phone has very low to no signal it pumps as much juice as it can through the antenna to try and locate and communicate with a cell tower. Low signal is a battery KILLER.

As for your other issue, not sure why that happened. Could have been a temporary hiccup with AT&T.

4. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was at Sunday River for some skiing... There was about 1 bar at my hotel's window, but nothing in the middle of the room!

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, when there's no 3G or Wi-Fi, turn those features off.

When there's no signal at ALL, put the phone in Airplane Mode.

6. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good tips. I've never seen any real power issues with the WiFi being on. The fuze I traded in destroyed batteries when WiFi was turned on, but the iPhone seems to manage the power fairly well.....

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

thats funny, because I was up there as well -- I just get the Edge network with a few bars -- definitely not full service!

8. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

This weekend??? Small world... I was a little upset with the ice, and the wind holds on the lifts, but what can ya do?!

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

this weekend and pretty much every weekend... very small world.

yeah, the wind has been the black cloud over the east for the past month or so.