AT&T's 14-day phone test... apply to the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshbckr, Jun 22, 2007.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Will I be able to buy the phone and try it out for 14 days and return it if I'm not happy with it? I'm also wondering if this could work for the two models. For example, could I buy the 4GB version and try it out for 14 days, then if I decide there isn't enough space for me and I want the 8GB, could I return it and pay the difference?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Cingular was 30 days, not 14, so I think AT&T is as well. Not sure if it'll apply to the iPhone.

3. ps49556n macrumors regular

I do not think this test policy will apply to the iPhone, expecially after the announcement of the cancelation fee because "of the fixed costs" of upgrading the network. I could be wrong though. I also dont think they want a surplus of used iPhones 2 weeks after the release.

4. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

Cancellation fee is due to cancelling the contract, not returning the phone. If anything at all, I would just be upgrading to the larger model, I wouldn't be ending the contract.

5. kevinwiz macrumors regular

i think i read on this forum that it is the law for there to be a return policy on cell phones

6. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Yeah. They have this so you can test the service to see if it works in your area. I would think you might get hassled about returning the iphone, but if it don't work then they'd better refund.

7. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

Cingular currently gives you 30 days. I know my cousin returned her blackjack after two days because she couldnt use (not technically savvy).

8. brooker macrumors regular

I just took advantage of Cingular's 30 day policy to return an AirCard that wasn't working out for me (long story). I agree with the above... i think they have to have the policy for legal reasons. But i don't see why they would mind... i can't imagine a lot of people giving it up after trying it, so i really doubt there will be any "surplus" after 2 weeks. Besides, i'm sure they have a way to repackage/refurbish these.

My question is... if i get one for myself, and one for my wife (who is already a cingular customer with a good phone), can we switch her back to her current phone after a few days... and sell the iphone on ebay?

9. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I think if they're not subsidizing the cost of the iPhone and you paid the full price, I would think you should be able to keep it. But since the iPhone is an exclusive item, I have a feeling that they may have a restriction for something like that.

And back to my original question, I don't think I'll be returning the iPhone for a refund. I'm 99.9999% sure I'll be completely in love with it. What I might do is get the 4GB to save $100 and try it out to see whether or not I would rather have the 8GB.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, 30 days for refund of phone, but I believe it's only 3 days if you also want your activation fee back.

No idea if this applies to iPhone.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Cingular put this in place, because the law demanded it....AT&T kept it because of the law.

AT&T has to give to a chance to try out their services...else risk being sued again. I'm not sure how firm the 30 days is...but that is AT&T's current grace period.

12. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

Sooo... do you think I can buy a 4GB and if I decide I want the 8GB just go in and swap them out? Will I be charged a restocking fee?

13. cmschmidt macrumors 6502

well if the tryout period was put in place to try out the carriers network, then i highly doubt they'll let you swap one phone out for another exact same phone with a different amount of memory. it's either keep the network or dont' keep the network.

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Before getting her one, I'd try her SIM card in your phone just to verify that the SIM of someone who hasn't activated an iPhone can actually use an iPhone. If it works, go for it! (Damn, that's a hell of an idea... I'd be switching providers to get an iPhone, and have three lines. Maybe I'll buy three iPhones, then just go get some el-cheapo (not too cheap though, my wife's would have to be able to sync with her Mac over Bluetooth,) used GSM phones for my wife and kid, and sell 'their' iPhones to pay for mine. They won't even have to know, right?)

15. wongulous macrumors 6502a

It's part of the Buyer's Remorse period that every legal contract such as a wireless phone contract must offer equally. But if there's no contract, all bets are off... however, Apple has a generous, reasonable return policy, as has Cingular on equipment. I doubt it'll be anything horrible.

16. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It'd probably be a lot easier just to figure out which one you want and buy it.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

We may not have a 30 day period with the iPhone

An article in the early Sunday edition of the Washington Post made mention of Apple offering a 14 day return privilege. I read this after visiting an AT&T store this morning. Not sure if the guy I spoke with had seen that story or not, but I did ask about their 30 day policy. He said that he was not sure that the iPhone would be part of that offer.

18. z400central macrumors regular

Should apply. Applies to blackberrys which are not exactly cheap!

19. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

if you're not canceling, it's theoretically possible. if you cancel, you need to give back the phone. however i don't see an ebay market for these. everyone that wants one will be able to get one within a week. read what the AT&T CEO (i think it was him) said. he said that they should have plenty for everyone for launch weekend and if they do sell out you can order one and get it in 3-5 days. plus it's locked to AT&T.