AT&T's - Cannot Cancel Order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nitram0606, Jul 31, 2010.

1. nitram0606 macrumors newbie

I'm sure this has been posted, but I could not find a thread with any other people experiencing this.

So, like many other would be Iphone 4 owners, I placed my order through AT&T. I ordered on the 20th and was told in store "5-7" business days....well that time has come and gone, 11 total days later and still on B.O.

I call up at&t and speak to the store manager where I ordered, he said and I quote "it is Physically impossible to cancel your order until the phone arrives." Now at first I was hesitant to believe this could even possibly be true, but after calling their 800 number(s) it apparently has some truth to it.

My apple store, my radioshack and my bestbuy all have more than 5 - 16gb and even more 32gb units in stock. I think it's abhorent and absurd that AT&T would implement this type of software and ordering system for their customers that makes it literally impossible to cancel an order on something that has not even arrived yet.

Oh and they told me I can't cancel my phone service or buy a different phone either...I literally have no control over my account until this phone arrives, very frustrating

:mad: Had to vent...

2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

It sucks, but it makes sense on their part. It means THEY sell you the phone, not someone else. (I'm guessing that benefits them)

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's awful.

Have you considered talking to a different AT&T (corporate) store to verify this is true?

I'd ordered my iphone4 via the Premier website on 7/23 and it was on backorder. When I found out my local Apple store had them in stock on 7/29, I was able to cancel over the phone very easily.

Maybe it's different if you order in store? Sounds strange that you can't cancel the order though.

4. Navynails macrumors newbie

I was able to cancel my order. I placed my order in store on Friday 23rd and was told 5 days. Not a range, not that the phone was backordered, just 5 days. I waited a week, Best buy and the apple store 30 minutes away both had the phone in stock. I called the 1800 number after not being able to get in touch with my store (they wouldn't answer the phone) and said I was mislead about the wait time I didn't have time to wait for the phone to come off backorder because I was going on vacation and I wanted to cancel now. The person on the 1800 number took care of it talked to the store put a note on my account and I just had to walk into my store sign a paper and I had my iphone from the apple store about an hour after leaving there. So it is possible.

5. nitram0606 thread starter macrumors newbie

That really infuriates me that they would lie like this, not once, but twice. First they mislead me about the wait time, 5-7 DAYS, not business days, just DAYS period, as you said. Then they tell me they CANNOT cancel my order, when I'm sure it's possible somehow, oh but wait, once the phone arrives they can....that's not suspicious...:mad: