AT&T's ETFs... Did you guys forget?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daphuon2, Jun 10, 2009.

1. daphuon2 macrumors member

This info applies to current iPhone 3G owners who bought their iPhone 3G closer to it's release date. When reading these forums, with everyone talking about paying the ETF to get a better deal on the new iPhone, did you guys forget or not know that AT&T switched their ETFs policy to prorated on May 25 of 2008? If you did, heres a reminder. If you signed a one or two year contract beginning or after May 25, 2008 (which you did since the iPhone 3g was released in July 2008 I believe), for each month that you paided your bill on time, the ETFs fee which starts at $175, gets lowered by $5. So what are we at? like the 11th month... That's 5x11. So for our ETFs, we would have to pay $175-$55=$120. Still kind of sucks since you will lose your current number, but for people who don't care about that. You saved 55 bucks!

http://wirelesscontractsinfo.blogspot.com/2008/05/at-prorated-etfs-are-now-in-effect.html - Read there for the press release from an old blog post. You can google it too, the info is all over the place.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I think many more people would rather pay $55 and keep their number, no? :confused: I dunno, I would...

3. daphuon2 thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't matter, they will lose it ether way. I remember reading about it a while back, if you cancel your contract before the two years is over. AT&T won't allow you to resign again with the same number and get the new customer pricing until 3 months have passed. Unless they changed that too.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Yea, I'm not sure, I don't have an iPhone, I was just replying to the info you presented...sorry... :eek:

5. daphuon2 thread starter macrumors member

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

7. daphuon2 thread starter macrumors member

Heh, just trying to back up what I said with sources. Don't want people to think I'm just pulling stuff out of thin air :D

8. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

If you upgrade your phone (even if not eligible) you keep your number. I did this last year when switching from razr to iPhone.