AT&T's Jim Cicconi is mad, bro...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by soco, Dec 1, 2011.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Source: The Verge

Didn't see this being discussed, and this is becoming comical. Sprint's response, while I don't subscribe to their network, was fantastic.

Oh and here's a picture of Jim Cicconi taken today:

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AT&T has some pretty openly antisocial executives, but I think most of this is more an example of how our approach to mobile infrastructure has major issues:

- T-Mobile doesn't have a better build-out of 3G/4G in rural areas than AT&T does, so just acquiring T-Mo isn't going to solve this problem

- It is the case that we have a surprisingly large population without broadband coverage for a developed nation, even if this is because of the extent of rural dwellers here vs. other developed nations

- It is also the case that networks in several of the largest / highest density cities (NY, SF, to a lesser extent LA and Chicago) have at least intermittent major service issues

- From a cost standpoint, handset sweetheart deals basically allow the major players to charge more over time for the same (or less) level of service, as opposed to less.

I think it's time to shake things up. Number porting was a major coup, but I think the next steps should include:

- Some kind of mechanism to force all carriers to use supported hardware owned by the consumer

- Force all carriers who sell locked phones to provide a complete unlock on request (or automatically) when the original contract is finished.

This would create a market for handsets and allow more people to use low-cost providers (Boost, Cricket, H2O, etc) who are currently not able/willing to use them because they do not offer good hardware.

And possibly...

- Force carriers / handset mfr's to remove limitations from use of capped data plans (e.g. if you get 2 gb, you get 2 gb, and you can use it any way you want) This will cause data congestion, but it will also put increased pressure on the providers to improve network infrastructure and not over-sell their mobile data services.

- Regulate SMS/MMS costs

- Legislate LTE interoperability or put together some kind of program to help the providers collaborate on network infrastructure for rural consumers rather than expecting each provider to independently produce a huge amount of 3G/LTE hardware in the middle of nowhere to serve a small customer base.

Whatever AT&T comes up with is not going to be focused on making life better for consumers, even though T-Mobile without AT&T is not viable.

I think the government should focus on empowering mobile consumers and then let consumers put the pressure on the major carriers to force them to compete.