AT&T's new Unlimited Prepaid plan (iPhone compatible?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by California King, Nov 14, 2011.

1. California King, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

California King macrumors 65816

So AT&T has this new plan for prepaid users. It's unlimited voice, text, and DATA?! Under the plan, it says unlimited data is just for eligible phones. I looked around on the page and there's no list of eligible phones for the unlimited data.

Anyone know if it works with iPhone 4? For $50/month, I think it's one hell of a deal....even better than any of the postpaid plans on AT&T for smartphones.

Link:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...jsp?wtSlotClick=1-005ZH4-0-2&_requestid=72919

EDIT: Asked AT&T about the plan and unlimited data is just for non-smartphones :(

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Buy a prepaid SIM and try it. ;)

Worst case scenario it's edge data.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess would be like the rest of the prepaid data resold by other smaller US companies that use AT&T's GSM network.
    Really slow throttled data but for the price might be worth it to some.

4. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

chances are it wont be but I'm sure there will be a work around.

5. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm tempted to try to switch over this plan, as I am already a prepaid user, but I'm thinking it's too good to be true. AT&T doesn't even offer a unlimited data plan on postpaid...

Actually I am getting 3G on my prepaid plan, so I don't think they would downgrade it to EDGE if I switch to that plan....I think I'll give AT&T a call and ask them what phones are eligible and if it's 3G or EDGE.

6. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

7. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

I think in addition to $50

you need to pay $15 (200MB of data) or $25 (2GB of data).

8. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

yeah and the speed and reliability sucks balls

9. mw12a macrumors newbie

The way I understand this to work is that smartphones need to buy a separate Data Feature Package. So just buying that $50 plan is not enough.

On a somewhat related issue, I scanned through the Terms & Conditions for the GoPhone plans again, and I can no longer find the language that said iPhones were not eligible to use this service. I could have sworn it was in there when I checked a few weeks ago. I wonder if that was silently dropped as well, and that iPhones are now officially OK to use on GoPhone plans?

10. MGTR420 macrumors regular

25 dollars doesnt even get you 2gb...only 500 mb. "Access the Web, email, social networks, and more! Add to your GoPhone 10¢/Minute Plan, $25 Monthly Plan, or $2/Daily Unlimited Plan. Smartphone users must purchase a data package with any plan to use data services on their device.

$5 for 10 MB
    $15 for 100 MB
    $25 for 500 MB"

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...cell-phone-plans.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-005ZH4-0-2

11. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

wow, more reason to support prepaid than the 2 year contract.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes it will still be 3G access but slower than the speeds post paid AT&T accounts would get.
    Let us know how it went.

13. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I had prepaid for 18 months until I upgraded to contract. The speed difference is incredible. I would never go back to prepaid.

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Prepaid data on AT&T is super slow. I use my iPhone 4 on gophone but rarely use the data. You need to add a data package on top of the $50 plan....unlimited data is for "featured" phones and not smart phones.

The speed to download an app will frustrate u and force u to cancel it lol.

It's misleading bc it's only for a couple phones.

Also, I tried changing apn but would tell me I'm not subscribed to a data plan. I'm assuming the system picks up that I'm using a smartphone and blocks all data.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

When I tried this on my 3GS, I got speeds that were slower than edge speeds. We're talking speeds of about 20Kbps.

I didn't need an APN changer because the 3GS would work with any AT&T sim. Only the original iPhone would need an APN changer. The original iPhone is approved for use on the prepaid unlimited plan.

16. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, it's unlimited data for non-smartphones. What speeds do postpaid iPhone users typically get? I would have sworn I saw a thread where everyone was posting their speeds and it was comparable with mine.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Varies by area and network usage at the time, but I typically see between 4 and 6Mbps down and 1 to 2Mbps up on 3G.