Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
So AT&T has this new plan for prepaid users. It's unlimited voice, text, and DATA?! Under the plan, it says unlimited data is just for eligible phones. I looked around on the page and there's no list of eligible phones for the unlimited data.

Anyone know if it works with iPhone 4? For $50/month, I think it's one hell of a deal....even better than any of the postpaid plans on AT&T for smartphones.

Link:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...jsp?wtSlotClick=1-005ZH4-0-2&_requestid=72919

EDIT: Asked AT&T about the plan and unlimited data is just for non-smartphones :(

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My guess would be like the rest of the prepaid data resold by other smaller US companies that use AT&T's GSM network.
Really slow throttled data but for the price might be worth it to some.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Buy a prepaid SIM and try it. ;)

Worst case scenario it's edge data.

I'm tempted to try to switch over this plan, as I am already a prepaid user, but I'm thinking it's too good to be true. AT&T doesn't even offer a unlimited data plan on postpaid...

My guess would be like the rest of the prepaid data resold by other smaller US companies that use AT&T's GSM network.
Really slow throttled data but for the price might be worth it to some.

Actually I am getting 3G on my prepaid plan, so I don't think they would downgrade it to EDGE if I switch to that plan....I think I'll give AT&T a call and ask them what phones are eligible and if it's 3G or EDGE.

mw12a

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
The way I understand this to work is that smartphones need to buy a separate Data Feature Package. So just buying that $50 plan is not enough.

On a somewhat related issue, I scanned through the Terms & Conditions for the GoPhone plans again, and I can no longer find the language that said iPhones were not eligible to use this service. I could have sworn it was in there when I checked a few weeks ago. I wonder if that was silently dropped as well, and that iPhones are now officially OK to use on GoPhone plans?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm tempted to try to switch over this plan, as I am already a prepaid user, but I'm thinking it's too good to be true. AT&T doesn't even offer a unlimited data plan on postpaid...

Actually I am getting 3G on my prepaid plan, so I don't think they would downgrade it to EDGE if I switch to that plan....I think I'll give AT&T a call and ask them what phones are eligible and if it's 3G or EDGE.

Yes it will still be 3G access but slower than the speeds post paid AT&T accounts would get.
Let us know how it went.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
I had prepaid for 18 months until I upgraded to contract. The speed difference is incredible. I would never go back to prepaid.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Prepaid data on AT&T is super slow. I use my iPhone 4 on gophone but rarely use the data. You need to add a data package on top of the $50 plan....unlimited data is for "featured" phones and not smart phones.

The speed to download an app will frustrate u and force u to cancel it lol.

It's misleading bc it's only for a couple phones.

Also, I tried changing apn but would tell me I'm not subscribed to a data plan. I'm assuming the system picks up that I'm using a smartphone and blocks all data.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
When I tried this on my 3GS, I got speeds that were slower than edge speeds. We're talking speeds of about 20Kbps.

I didn't need an APN changer because the 3GS would work with any AT&T sim. Only the original iPhone would need an APN changer. The original iPhone is approved for use on the prepaid unlimited plan.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Yes it will still be 3G access but slower than the speeds post paid AT&T accounts would get.
Let us know how it went.

Yes, it's unlimited data for non-smartphones. What speeds do postpaid iPhone users typically get? I would have sworn I saw a thread where everyone was posting their speeds and it was comparable with mine.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What speeds do postpaid iPhone users typically get? I would have sworn I saw a thread where everyone was posting their speeds and it was comparable with mine.

Varies by area and network usage at the time, but I typically see between 4 and 6Mbps down and 1 to 2Mbps up on 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.