Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I get concerned when I don’t see the discounts applied as part of the final review of the costs (I think this stems from a healthy and often-justifiable mistrust of these big communications service providers). It’s good to know it’s going to be applied, even if that happens after I start getting billed.

My plan change to unlimited officially started today. I logged into my account and there is a link called 'see cost details'. It is showing my FAN and auto pay discounts.

dyfine

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Exactly! I don’t see the value in keeping an iPad on an AT&T Unlimited account, when AT&T makes its functionality just the opposite - extremely limited.

The more I’ve pondered this, the more I’ve realized I don’t really need a line for my iPad. I was willing to do it (and to pay AT&T the additional money) as a matter of convenience, but with this level of functional restriction on what is possible, I see no reason to keep it. I may as well cancel it and save the money.

By the way, while I’m venting, I also don’t understand why the “Unlimited Your Way” that AT&T touts does not offer me all three Unlimited Plans. For each of our three iPhone lines, I can only choose between the “Elite” and “Starter” plans. For some reason, it’s not letting me see the third plan (Unlimited Extra).

Oh how I loathe US cellular communications companies...so much anti-consumer behavior.
I was with ATT (since the original iPhone) on a share plan for my phone and 2 watches. Their plan never made sense did my iPad. I found a TMobile plan for my iPad that is $15 for 5GB to be used over 5 months. For my light cell usage on my iPad (only when traveling), the separate TMO plan by far made the most sense for me. Seemed silly since I always had so much rollover data on my ATT plan but to use it for my iPad was so much more $.

dyfine

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Yep, and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it for just my one line. I‘m not a heavy data user but I guess it’s a better deal compared to the other unlmited plans with the discount.. and that if I wanted to switch back to my 9GB Mobile Share I can’t, as it’s not available anymore.
I was on the 9 GB plan with the FAN for my phone and 2 watches. Really want to leverage 5G for my 12Pro so looked at changing. After a bunch of calls to test different CS agents, concluded that it actually made the most sense “deal wise” to switch to Verizon. I don’t get a VRZ corporate discount but do get a discount for having my hone internet/cable with them too.

Reactions: ScottC7 and zinacef

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
My iPhone 12 Pro is on its way, so as an AT&T customer on a Mobile Share plan, I started looking into their 5G plans (the “Unlimited” series). It seems to me there are alot of compromises AT&T is making customers accept to get 5G.

For example, in my home, we have 5 lines: three iPhones, an iPad, and an Apple Watch. If I’m reading the language correctly, there is no Unlimited plan that allows me to stream HD onto my iPad...all the plans specify 480p streaming. Is that really correct, and if so, why would I be OK with that on a 12.9” iPad Pro with this amazing screen and video processing?

Am I misunderstanding? I hope so.

I think you should think about switching to T-Mobile, someone told me it's cheaper and better. I saw the T-Mobile's 5G coverage map and it's way better than At&t.

Reactions: ScottC7

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
My plan change to unlimited officially started today. I logged into my account and there is a link called 'see cost details'. It is showing my FAN and auto pay discounts.

Weird. Just noticed that both lines show the FAN discount, but only one line is showing the auto pay discount I am pretty sure all lines are supposed to get the $10 auto pay discount. I hope this gets sorted.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
I was on the 9 GB plan with the FAN for my phone and 2 watches. Really want to leverage 5G for my 12Pro so looked at changing. After a bunch of calls to test different CS agents, concluded that it actually made the most sense “deal wise” to switch to Verizon. I don’t get a VRZ corporate discount but do get a discount for having my hone internet/cable with them too.
I think I’m with you and will be switching to Verizon. During the course of preliminarily upgrading to Unlimited and downgrading, learned that my FAN was lost and won’t be recovered. Spoke to many reps and was lied to saying it’ll be reinstated but that’s not the case.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Weird. Just noticed that both lines show the FAN discount, but only one line is showing the auto pay discount I am pretty sure all lines are supposed to get the $10 auto pay discount. I hope this gets sorted.
From what I read and was told, the auto-pay and electronic billing discount is supposed to apply to all lines (or at least, all phone lines).

Reactions: Paco II

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
From what I read and was told, the auto-pay and electronic billing discount is supposed to apply to all lines (or at least, all phone lines).

Spoke to a rep. They basically said that the discount for the auto pay should show up and to just call if it doesn't when the next bill arrives. Considering this was a plan switch and it is literally the first day of it, and their website definitely says 'per line', I'm not going to sweat it at the moment.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando

Honestly, right now 5G really offers very little more than 4G. I totally get the mentality of wanting to be on the latest and greatest, but if there is going to be much of a cost involved I might skip it and wait another 6 or 12 months and then re-evaluate at that point.

Reactions: Ladybug and ScottC7

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Spoke to a rep. They basically said that the discount for the auto pay should show up and to just call if it doesn't when the next bill arrives. Considering this was a plan switch and it is literally the first day of it, and their website definitely says 'per line', I'm not going to sweat it at the moment.
Sounds good and thanks for reporting back, @Paco II. Keep your eye on it to make sure it shows up!

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Honestly, right now 5G really offers very little more than 4G. I totally get the mentality of wanting to be on the latest and greatest, but if there is going to be much of a cost involved I might skip it and wait another 6 or 12 months and then re-evaluate at that point.
This is exactly the conclusion I’ve come to, as well. I spent the afternoon thinking about this, and I think I will stay with AT&T for a little while longer, while keeping my eye on the ever-changing 5G landscape. A lot could happen in the next year, particularly with T-Mobile in light of their acquisition.

Since it’s not going to make a material bottom-line difference after removing my iPad from the plan, I’ll probably transition the Mobile Share Plan to an Unlimited one and live with and monitor AT&T’s 5G implementation in my area, at least for awhile. In the meantime, we’ll get some utility from the HBO Max access, too. If one provider moves ahead in terms of its implementation, we may make the switch at that point in time.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
OK dumb question: both of my lines got the Elite. Does that mean each line gets their own bucket of 100GB premium data, or total for both lines is 100GB? Coming from mobile share plan I am use to having a shared bucket of data.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
OK dumb question: both of my lines got the Elite. Does that mean each line gets their own bucket of 100GB premium data, or total for both lines is 100GB? Coming from mobile share plan I am use to having a shared bucket of data.

Each line gets their own. No more sharing.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Since it’s not going to make a material bottom-line difference after removing my iPad from the plan

For what it’s worth, I was a die hard cellular iPad fan for the iPad 1, 2, and 3. But around the time that the iPad 4 came out I decided to go wifi only to save a few hundred a year by not paying for the cellular plan for the ipad and not buying a cellular capable iPad and I’ve gotta say I haven’t looked back since then. It is super easy now to use your phone as a hotspot and it can all be done from the iPad, so you don’t even need to take your phone out of your pocket. Between public wifi access points and using my phone as a hotspot I see very little need for a cellular iPad anymore.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
For what it’s worth, I was a die hard cellular iPad fan for the iPad 1, 2, and 3. But around the time that the iPad 4 came out I decided to go wifi only to save a few hundred a year by not paying for the cellular plan for the ipad and not buying a cellular capable iPad and I’ve gotta say I haven’t looked back since then. It is super easy now to use your phone as a hotspot and it can all be done from the iPad, so you don’t even need to take your phone out of your pocket. Between public wifi access points and using my phone as a hotspot I see very little need for a cellular iPad anymore.
@BrettDS, I agree. I remember hot spotting being much more difficult in the early days, and speeds were very slow, too. That’s why I started getting cellular iPads and service. But in my next iPad, I’m nearly certain I’ll get a WiFi-only model and take advantage of hot spotting, again, in the instances when I need service to the iPad. Honestly, I get more value having cell service on my Apple Watch than I do on the iPad.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Just keep an eye on it. I was contemplating a switch from our Unlimited and More to the new entry Unlimited 5G Plan (as our Unlimited and More does not allow 5G) but decided the extra $30 a month for our 4 line setup was not worth it as 5G is so immature right now especially with AT&T. I would loose my $10 per line discount my plan has and the new $10 per line savings for Auto and paperless was less than my current $10 per line and $20 auto and paperless.

Anyway, the rep was very nice for AT&T. She said they were still hashing out issues with statements/bills as it’s only been 2 weeks and they are working on it. So, it Should work out. I’d keep checking for updates through your online account. There really isn’t much you can’t do today without talking to a rep.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Just keep an eye on it. I was contemplating a switch from our Unlimited and More to the new entry Unlimited 5G Plan (as our Unlimited and More does not allow 5G) but decided the extra $30 a month for our 4 line setup was not worth it as 5G is so immature right now especially with AT&T. I would loose my $10 per line discount my plan has and the new $10 per line savings for Auto and paperless was less than my current $10 per line and $20 auto and paperless.

Anyway, the rep was very nice for AT&T. She said they were still hashing out issues with statements/bills as it’s only been 2 weeks and they are working on it. So, it Should work out. I’d keep checking for updates through your online account. There really isn’t much you can’t do today without talking to a rep.

Thanks. I am glad that the FAN discount is showing up for both lines. The 'good' thing with the missing auto pay discount is that there is no ambiguity as to the fact that it is for each line. Their wording is clear about that.

Reactions: Glideslope

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I've been using 5G on other phones on At&t since last year, and I think people are going to be pretty disappointed in its current state. Sure you get some decent speeds in good areas, but otherwise you will never notice it. Sure, it is the future, but it is really nothing special and nothing worth paying extra for in its current state.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
AT&T & Verizons 5G products may be no match for T-Mobile:

"T-Mobile continues to expand its 5G network in ways that its rivals cannot match"

"AT&T and Verizon have already begun expressing concerns that T-Mobile is on its way toward gaining an "unprecedented" lead in 5G spectrum ownership."

"AT&T and Verizon may never catch up to T-Mobile's lead in 5G spectrum ownership"

"T-Mobile will soon be in a position to charge a lot less for a lot more in 5G across most of America. And it's not clear how Verizon and AT&T will be able to respond."

Reactions: zinacef

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
AT&T & Verizons 5G products may be no match for T-Mobile:

"T-Mobile continues to expand its 5G network in ways that its rivals cannot match"

"AT&T and Verizon have already begun expressing concerns that T-Mobile is on its way toward gaining an "unprecedented" lead in 5G spectrum ownership."

"AT&T and Verizon may never catch up to T-Mobile's lead in 5G spectrum ownership"

"T-Mobile will soon be in a position to charge a lot less for a lot more in 5G across most of America. And it's not clear how Verizon and AT&T will be able to respond."

Interesting articles and now, after having read them, I’m wondering if to jump ship from AT&T over to Verizon. ?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
You don’t need a 5G plan now. Honestly. Poor coverage still. I’m keeping my current plan and getting the 12 Pro Max. I’ll switch to a 5G plan some day. No rush. Plus all the 5G plans are worse than what I currently have. And AT&T gave me a discount when I called the loyalty department last month. That will go away whenever I switch plans.
I switched plans and kept my loyalty discount.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Currently on a 50gb mobile share plan. 3 lines, 1 line has 11pro max installment plan on ATT
150+Taxes fees + $48 installment plan comes out to $219 that I now pay under my FAN discount

If i was to switch right now to all Unlimited Extra it would be $173 for me total under the physician discount.

Question is, This HD vs SD streaming, how noticeable is it on a 11 Pro Max, soon to be 12 pro max.
Id rather not upgrade to the elite if i can avoid it to save $10 a month, i don't want to pay att a dime extra.

Can i still stream HD , netflix, hulu, hbo etc on the Extra plan?
No. SD only. But you can get Elite for the price of Extra if you have a FAN account. And those are extremely easy to get.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
At this point in time 5G will give you more bragging rights than practical usability
5G is in its infancy and the mmwave 5G is only accessible in several cities under optimum conditions (no walls with steel etc etc)
Before you give up anything check out what speed your area has

Reactions: Glideslope

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Wife and I have the 6 gig shared plan and with rollover we usually have 10 gig in the bucket. If we switch to the Senior discount plan, would be need new SIM cards for 5G, or would just switching do it?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
On the 9GB mobile share. Bought an iPhone 12 SIM free so I won’t be forced to switch an unlimited plan. 5G is available in my area, but not sure I want to move over just yet. I like my plan and don’t need unlimited.

Reactions: Ladybug
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.