At what point do I give up on Migration Assistant????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrstucci, Apr 2, 2015.

1. mrstucci macrumors newbie

Hi-I'm really hoping to get some help. I have my old MacBook Pro transferring (via Thunderbolt) files and folders to my new MacBook Pro. Both have 1T hard drives-the new one has a SSD, the old one does not. It's been saying 'one minute remaining' for days.... What do I do? It's progressed but it's SOOOOOO slow! I'm worried if I stop it that some files/folders won't be transferred. Help!!!! Judy

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If it was me -- and if it had been running that long -- I would just force quit and reboot the NEW MacBook.

Once in the finder, I would "look around", to see if things pretty much looked as I wanted them to look. Check Mail.app, check iTunes (if you use it), check iPhoto, etc.

If something wasn't right, or was missing, I'd "migrate it manually" using either a USB flashdrive or an external backup drive.

In either case, I'd keep the OLD Macbook around for a while (along with the external backup drive), in case I run into something that's not right on the new Macbook -- so I could "look back" at the older computer and [again] grab what I needed "by hand".

And then I'd go on my way, and wouldn't worry about it all too much...

3. mrstucci thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mrstucci thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi! I thought you deserved an update since you were so kind to reply to my posting.

I quit Migration Assistant. Things were still messed up. I had 3 accounts that I could login to and all 3 were non-admin. The real problem came when I wanted to make one an admin-it asked for my user name and password. Well, that should have been easy enough but NO, it wasn't! I could see the user name but no matter what I typed in it was wrong. I was stuck. I tried Recovery Disk and reset password. No go. Tried Internet Recovery Disk. No go. I couldn't do anything EXCEPT chat with Apple. This little sweet machine came with Apple Care and once again, they saved me. He had me verify both hard drives-they were fine. Then repair permissions. Then reset the SMC and zap the PRAM on both machines. Then do the Internet Recovery Disk and then erase the hard drive and reinstall the OS. Did all that and created a new admin account...!!! And I am up and running! The Migration Assistant took about 4 hours this time. Whew. Much better. Not sure what made the difference but it's fixed.

Thank you again for replying to my posting. Have a great weekend! Judy