At what point do I just ask for a replacement...?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jake36wi41, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jake36wi41 macrumors member

Ok, so I hope this isn't too rant-y or long-winded, but here goes:

I've got a Rev A low end MacBook, bought JUST under 3 years ago, with AppleCare that has been having more than a few problems. Noticed the optical drive was giving me problems two weeks ago (not recognizing discs, ejecting anything being put in etc...) so I took it in last Wednesday. No symptoms showed up at the Genius Bar, so they noted that I had an issue and sent me home. Only to have the same thing happen immediately upon returning home.

Thursday I bring it in, they say the optical drive needs to be replaced. W/ the iPhone launch on Friday, it's not ready for pickup until Saturday. I pick it up, bring it home, SAME issue starts occurring. I bring it back in on Sunday, they replace the optical drive again, same day.

Sunday night I decide I should attempt to upgrade to Leopard, thinking that might solve some of my issues. Install freezes halfway through, the computer is essentially a brick.

I take it BACK in on Monday, and they determine I need a new hard drive. Have to order the part, might be a few days, etc...

Today I get a call saying my computer is ready to be picked up, stop by whenever. I skip my lunch break to go to Apple, only to have them tell me "it's finishing a restore, should be five more minutes" Ok, I can wait. Ten minutes later I'm told the restore failed, it'll be at least a few more hours. I say I can come back tonight, no problem, they'll call when it's ready.

This afternoon, I get a call saying the restore failed AGAIN. They think they need to replace the optical drive. I explain that that would be the 3rd optical drive of the week, maybe something else MIGHT be wrong? The genius says he needs to speak w/ his "head genius" and see what they have to say. This was three hours ago with no follow up call.

So that's where I'm at right now. I've literally got THREE days left on my AppleCare, and while asking for a replacement does seem a little excessive given my warranty status, I AM still within my warranty period. I know all repairs are covered for three more months regardless of AppleCare, I had planned on owning this computer for at least another couple years, given it's history, I'm not sure I see it lasting more than a few months. I know it's not Apple's responsibility, but I'm really feeling jerked around here.

So that's my ridiculously long story. More of a cathartic post than anything, any thoughts are appreciated.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As long as you have an open ticket within the warranty period, it's covered until resolved, so no worries there.

Considering it looks like the optical drive has been replaced for a third time (or about to be), and has yet to fix things, AND the folks at the Apple Store themselves have had it fail multiple times, AND the "resolution" is a moving target, I'd guess you're REALLY close to being well within reason to request a replacement.

I'd ask to speak to the Store manager, be cool and calm, have him look at the repair history, and explain that you have been patient to this point but the machine is critical in your daily work. Let them know that you would really appreciate a single, final resolution, as the situation is becoming untenable for you.

If they do offer up a new machine (or seem to lean in that direction), you might add that you'd likely purchase a new APP for it, or some other goodies. Just let them know you're a good customer, and you're not being whiny or demanding, but just want to get back to work.

Attitude is at least half the battle here.

3. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate the reply. Being calm and not freaking out on anybody is definitely what's got me this far. At this point I'm waiting for the call back they said I'd be getting (although it's 6:30pm here, odds are good that isn't coming tonight) which I suppose just gives me that much more ammo. As does that calling me to say it was ready, making the trip only to find out it wasn't (man was that brutal)

I like the "single, final resolution" language, and I'm obviously a good customer as I'm in there killing time on my iPhone waiting for each appointment. I'll wait for their call back to see what they have to say.

Thanks again, I'll post back here once I find out what happens next.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, you should be able to ask for a replacement now. The usual criteria for a replacement is three repairs on the computer and you've had three repairs in the last two weeks. Remember not to get too angry with them as was suggested above, and also be sure to remind them of how many repairs it has had in the last two weeks alone and hope for the best. I wish you good luck :)

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That would be three for the same problem, and even that's not a hard & fast rule. "It all depends"

6. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Technically I'm on three for the same problem (optical drives) with a hard drive and potentially a logicboard thrown in. I know the "three repairs" thing is far from a rule, and in all honesty I really don't expect a replacement, just thought I'd see peoples general thoughts on the situation. I'll be calling in tomorrow since I never heard back today as promised. I'll keep everyone posted, I know you're all anxious to find out what happens :p

7. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Report Back

Don't forget to tell us what happen. Did they replace it?

Hugh

8. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

9. ABEAR macrumors newbie

ABEAR

This is interesting, I'm hoping they get you a replacement, you'd be able to keep it for another few years for sure ;)

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I wanna know the resolution to this so bad! I love these stories ;D

11. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Ask for a high end MBP 13 inches if you get a replacement :D

12. eeriephenomenon macrumors member

hahaha i guess my story hasnt been as interesting... but yes i would also like to hear your resolution!

hate to sound like someone in need of comments, but i would also like to hear others thoughts on my situation as well. thread titled "is there anything i can do?"

thanks for your reponse hugh!

13. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

I definitely won't be greedy if they actually do offer a replacement. According to the website my repair is complete, but that wouldn't be the first time I've heard that. I'll be calling in first thing when the store opens in a few hours.

Really just want a functioning machine again…

14. eeriephenomenon macrumors member

yeah, i definitely dont agree with being greedy, but then again it never hurts to ask (politely of course). with my situation i have a faulty black macbook from around the same time you got yours, my apple care runs out the end of next month. im trying to see about getting a replacement aslo so i dont think its out of the realm of possibility that i can get a 13" macbook pro... i guess only time will tell at this point since the supervisor who's in charge of my case has yet to call me back in the past couple days

15. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Called in this morning, was transferred around to a few people w/in the store, eventually got to a nice lady who told me "it looks like we'll be replacing your computer with a new white MacBook, since the hard drive was already replaced on your old computer, you didn't have any data to transfer over, so you can come by and pick it up anytime."

I'll be heading over at lunch to see if this really isn't too good to be true. Definitely not going to push for a MBP or anything, a new white MB is definitely a HUGE step up from the original three year old MB.

Looks like patience and generally not being an ******* finally paid off ;) Thanks for the tips, advice and interest here folks. Nice to have a place like this to share experiences!

16. eeriephenomenon macrumors member

congrats! hopefully my issue gets resolved soon too!

17. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Good luck! Be sure to keep us posted. Patience is obviously a virtue ;)

18. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Awesome dude, I'm so jealous! Not because of the machine, because you got it FREE!
    I actually really hope my optical drive messes up three times in the next 6 months... I barely use the drive and I would love a brand new machine ahaha xD

19. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Other than the first Genius that helped me at the store attempting to give me my old computer back, the pickup went w/o a hitch. Didn't push for the MPB, gladly took the new white MB as the replacement and ran out of the store before they changed their minds ;)

Definitely going to have a few questions regarding setup and what not (since it's been a while :p) but I'll ask those in the appropriate forums.

Thanks again guys!

20. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

LOL at that guy. What a fool. Congrats on your new Macbook ;D I take it you renewed your Applecare? Maybe the same thing can happen again in the next couple of years ;) I'm sure we're all willing to help you out with any problems you have or advice you want :D

21. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

:D Man, that's what I call timing. Just days away from an expiring warranty and now you get to start over again with a new macbook.

You know... I've been reading a lot of success stories about the Genius/Apple store care.

I've only been using a mac for 6 months and there's nothing wrong with it. I hope I never have the need to write a success story but it's nice to read about these resolutions.

22. Psi42 macrumors newbie

I've actually had this happen to me with my MBP. In like December my computer started having really weird problems (like just shutting off whenever it felt like it) and it became obvious Apple didn't know what it was. It had had other problems (hard drive, some dead pixels) but they were all fixed. The battery thing really did it so I called up Apple Corporate and if you get to the right people and are nice enough and explain your problem well enough, they'll replace your computer (or give you one that matches the retail value of your current computer when you bought it) and I also upgraded a few things.
    It was really great and now I have a nice new computer! :D