At what point does Apple issue a new computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jreale05, Feb 21, 2010.

1. jreale05 macrumors regular

I am new to this board but I just was wondering if people had any opinions or previous experience with a situation like mine… Anyway, I have been experiencing a lot of problems with my 2007 macbook pro (bought it in june 2007 and is still under warranty until june of this year). I have been in and out of the apple store six or seven times and they have replaced my logic board twice, my hard drive twice, my CDR (disk drive) and my monitor once. My computer is constantly overheating and shutting off and I am getting the ‘ spinny wheel ‘ a lot. It just got back from the shop and it is still overheating and shutting down. I have a ton of free memory and I just don’t know what to do at this point.

I use my computer at work so I can’t just send it in, and I live in Stillwater, OK (80 miles away from the closest apple store). It is frustrating having to deal with my computer every other week. What is apple’s policy with something like this? What do I do? I can’t afford to pay for these repairs when my computer’s warranty is up in June.

Thanks in advance!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Each individual situation will vary based on circumstances, store, Genius, etc.

Your best bet is to document everything and work your way up the food chain

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Tell what you just wrote to us, to someone at apple. Be assertive, but nice and see if you can get someone to help you with your situation

4. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Nice to find another Oklahoman on here -- I would call the store you did the repair with and tell them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Given the fact that they are doing work and you are getting the same problems again - I would argue that they have never actually fixed the problem. i.e. even if the warranty expires, since you made a valid claim and submitted it for repair during the covered time period, if it continues to exhibit the same problems - they should still cover it.

5. jreale05 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I have tried to go in there but every time they just want to repair it and I don't feel like they will listen to a 22 year old asking for a new computer... I just am not sure what to do...

6. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

I have been in a situation like yours once before (not a macbook pro though).

What you have to do is stop dealing with the Genius Bar and call Apple's 1-800 #. When you speak to a Representative explain to them your situation and be polite and calm to. IF the do recommend you taking it to the Genius Bar at your local apple store or even offer for you to send it in via post, decline that offer (again in a polite way), then you explain to them your frustration with the product and that you shouldn't have to deal with this more than (how many ever times you dealt with it in the past). After you do that then ask to speak with Customer Relations, they can not refuse to connect you, it's like speaking to a supervisor but at a much higher state.

When you speak to Customer Relation, you'll have to tell your story all over again most likely but your pretty much in the door. Apple's Customer Relations team is top notch and I can almost assure you if you been through all this trouble and so many repairs they will grant you at least a refurbished model at your request. But be aware, you need to request one as they will not read your mind or make an assumption.

Hope this information helps and good luck!

7. phishindsn macrumors regular

In my case I argued the fact that this broken computer is not only costing me time to drive 2 hours to the apple store each way, but also it was starting to effect my business time.

I added up my rate (consultant) $125/hr and I had spent over 14 hours driving to the store. 8 hours waiting in the apple store for the so called "scheduled genius appointment" which is a lie. That just gets your name on a list, not the stand by list.

Plus I added the time I was without my iMac a total of 11 days.

So I said it like this, not only have I been patient about following the process but being a consultant who uses this as business investment you have costed me $2,750 dollars in my time not either being able to service my customers let alone the downtime of 11 days of not having this machine.

So if you believe that after bringing my machine in for the 8th time will fix this or would you rather send me a new machine it's your call...but if this isnt fixed I will gladly talk to my local lawyer and I can go that way.

Your issue seems a little drastic and personally working with other contracts HP, Cisco, etc they would of sent a replacement real quick. Don't let them assume you are just a consumer and that you made an investment.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

OP, take this advice. I did the exact same thing and Apple replaced my defective 24" iMac that has had multiple repairs. They replaced it with the 27".

No offense, but OP DON'T take this advice. You don't want to come across as customer from hell or one that has to remind them why you bought the computer, it can come across as arrogant and Apple will stick to their books and just put your Mac back in service.

9. jreale05 thread starter macrumors regular

Could they even send me a 2007 refurb? I feel like they don't make / don't even bother repairing the old ones.... Thanks for your advice phish, I appreciate your help.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry, but did you read my post? I just got my 3 year old 24" iMac replaced with a brand new 27" without hassle based on the advice I recommended for you to take. :)

11. jreale05 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice, Im just frustrated, and I know it sounds selfish, but I just want a new MBP. I don't even want to deal with this comp anymore, so hopefully I will get the same result

12. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

You're not being selfish. Through all that you have went through, you deserve a new macbook pro and if you take my advice, I guarantee you'll be granted one.

13. phishindsn macrumors regular

I dont think my situation came out to be a customer from hell. It's all about living up to the AppleCare Warranty and what it suppose to provide. If you need to take your computer in for more than 8 things to get repaired, lemon or not, that is not satisfactory. I understand why it sounds like coming off as a hellish customer, I was merely stating that you need to keep records of time you the customer had to spend solving an issue with an sub bar device.

I did also finally ask to speak to a Customer Relations Advisor and you are correct you will have to state what will make this issue be resolved. As posted earlier, they will ask what can they do for you, this is where you state your facts and then ask for a replacement.

I was just trying to state the difference between those who have a faulty power adapter and immediately ask for a new machine vs those who have and log many hours spent with a device that should be replaced.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Exactly, you deserve to be frustrated at this point. My iMac 24" had been repaired 4 times, plus 2 more times because Apple's repair center messed up my fan in the processes of repairing something else. I called CR and told them that I didn't want to deal with yet another repair and I had Applecare. They offered a replacement of a brand new 27".

Don't worry, they will take care of you, but don't call them and act like they are doing you a favor, you're still the customer and you bought Applecare in good faith. Just tell them, calmly, that you would like to get it replaced at this point. Don't recommend a refurb, they probably can't give that to you anyway, but most likely you will get one of the current Unibody Macbooks that either match or exceed your current specs. :)

15. jreale05 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I'm guessing I don't even need to bother bringing in my computer again ? Just call and have them deal with it?

16. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

Exactly. And as just posted, your more than likely to get a MacBook Pro in the current line up which is the Unibody. They have to give you equal or greater value, not anything less.

Just call and be patient and it'll pay off in the end. Don't even deal with Local Apple Stores anymore. You want a new computer not another repair that will most likely lead to another.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, forget about going to the store again. All the repair service that was done on your Macbook is in the system and CR will see that. For some reason Apple over the phone bends over backwards for customers, especially those who have Applecare.

18. jreale05 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, Thanks a lot for your help everyone! I greatly appreciate it. I will update you when I get to calling them this week. Thanks again!

19. phishindsn macrumors regular

I wanted to let you know I was having similar issues and as of today I am getting a new computer. I just got off the phone today and getting my G5 replaced. I documented and finally said I have had this computer in for 5 times all to have the LCD screen replaced.

The CSR person went ahead on his own before me even asking for a replacement and said I have spent a considerable amount of time on this and Apple would like to replace my computer if that is ok with me.

20. Ollebro macrumors newbie

Dont you get a new one after two repairs? In Sweden its a law that if a product does not work as it should after two repairs you will get a new one for the same amount as it cost you in the begining, up to 3 years. So if you paid 2 000$ 2007 you should get a computer that today cost 2 000$.

who needs Apple care with a law like that?

21. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

OK, i am ready to move to Sweden. :D Just kidding, but seriously, it nice to see countries that have laws that actually favor the customers, which is a welcome change (i am by no means complaining), i have to admit that is one sweet law. :)