At what point does the iP4 upgrade process on your AT&T account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iEric4, Jul 22, 2010.

1. iEric4 macrumors member

Hi I'm a newbie and had this question for u guys...

I know apple/ATT checks ur upgrade eligibility before you can order the iphone 4 but at what point does it actually "upgrade" your account and add another two years?

1. is it as soon as you place the order?
    2. when the phone is shipped?
    3. when you activate the iP4 in itunes?

I was just wondering if there was any way around this. I'm guessing the upgrade is tied to the sim card that comes in the box when its shipped or something right? because ppl could just buy a brand new iP4 from craigslist without upgrading...

So what i was thinking was going to att and getting a new sim card and activating the iP4 with that one instead of the one that comes in the box. Would that work to make iTunes think its just a new phone and not an upgrade?

Hopefully someone can explain to me how it works....
    Thanks!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Your contract start counting the day you "activate" your phone, on the store or in Itunes (when you activate your phone you agree to a 2 year contract), when you buy a phone from eBay/CL, etc, you are not required to agree to this contract, AT&T just assign the phone ID to your account (and no change happen to your current contract status)

Now you are LOCKED to the contract 30 days after you signed it, you can cancel your service (and return the phone) during that period without any penalties (you only paid for your usage).

3. samcraig macrumors P6

you will not be able to cheat ATT.

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

This is what I get when I check upgrade elligibility.....

"As a valued AT&T customer, you may be eligible for a standard upgrade on this line, with reduced equipment pricing when signing a 2-year commitment. Click 'Upgrade Eligibility' to view your upgrade options. "

And when I go to chose phone I get full upgrade pricing.

P.S. I preordered on 6/15 and received on 6/23 and it shows my phone as the iP4.

5. iEric4 thread starter macrumors member

how does att know i got the phone for 199 with an upgrade tho? does apple put it in att's system so that whenever i activate the phone with ANY sim card i have to sign a two year agreement?

thats y i was saying what if i dont use the sim that comes shipped with the phone and get a new one from an att store and activate it with that one instead. will they think i just bought it from ebay/CL?

perfect example: i upgrade and pay only 199, but i sell the phone brand new in the box without ever activating it. the person who buys it activates it with their own sim card.
    I never agree to another 2 years.... will it ask him to?

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Im pretty sure it resets your two year contract the day the phone is shipped. Of course, I've been income it's taken up to a couple of weeks sometimes. Not sure why.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

if you DON"T agree to the 2 year contract...you wouldn't have be able to "BUY" the phone for $199.

If you got it for $199 (form Apple or AT&T) ..is because you already agreed to the new 24 month contract.

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

^+1. Just by getting the cheap purchase price, agreeing to it and purchasing, you automatically renew your contract for 2 years. Now if you decide to send it back, then you can have the new contract voided within the first 30 days and revert to the prior contract you held. If you decide to sell it third party, then you are still bound to the 2 years you agreed upon, whether you still have and use the device or not.