At what point in a restore do I use Migration Assistant?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skybolt, Nov 2, 2009.

1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Long story, but apple tech said I should do an archive and install to correct a problem I have been having. I have first gen. macbook, so disks are probably Tiger (or whatever came before Leopard). If I do the archive, will it keep my updates to things like Snow Leopard, iLife 09 etc? Or will I need to use Migration Assistant to get info back from a SuperDuper backup on an external drive? Or will I need to update all software first?

As an alternative, I thought I might just go ahead and do a complete clean install. Same question, will Migration Assistant bring back updates from an external, or would I need to do the clean install, update to Snow Leopard, iLife, etc., and then use Migration Assistant to bring the rest back?

Thanks for help and advice!

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

What't the point of doing a clean install if you're just going to drag migration assistant into the process?

I would clone your drive as it is now then:

- boot from the SL DVD, reformat
    - Install SL
    - Install all apps from their sources
    - "manually" drag your data files from the clone

For your data, you can even use your old TM backup after installing a fresh copy of SL. (There's an option to access other time machine drives in there somewhere and restore individual data files/folders)

After all the above should you still have your problem at least you know it's not due to some leftover pref file or something.