At what point is the Macbook 1.3 Ghz configuration worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Person9999, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Person9999 macrumors newbie

I was wondering what makes the 1.3 ghz upgrade worthwhile over the base 1.1 ghz configuration. Would I notice a difference in speeds putting aside any use of gaming or 4k video editing. Thanks.

2. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

Only if you are developing apps? :rolleyes:

3. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Nobody knows yet. No one has a 1.3GHz model in the wild yet.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

At the point the additional speed is beneficial to the user.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I agree. Most users report that the 1.1 and 1.2 models are barely holding ship. It does most of what it should, but there is room for improvement.

6. newellj macrumors 603

Which forum have you been reading? Certainly not this one.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Proper reviews, and not fanboy dripple.

8. tecnho macrumors 6502

Links?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I agree with the second part of what you said, but barely holding ship....

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

First you say "Most users" then you change it to "Proper reviews". "Most users" would imply a majority of users while "Proper reviews" would be a very very small fraction of users.

most users ≠ proper reviews

majority of users ≠ a very very small fraction of users

Because of this fallacy one can only believe that you are confused.

11. ct1211 macrumors 6502

It may or may not be worth it depending on what you do. I just went from a base late 2013 13" rMBP to a maxed out 2015 13" differences are slight after a month of use. My fan almost never kicked in on the base unit. The Broadwell i7 likes to kick it sometimes, especially if a process hangs. My 1.3 is due 4/29 I will report how well it handles Parallels Windows Photoshop Suite etc.

12. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Very interested in your comparison of the 1.3 rMB since I'm waiting on mine and I'm currently using a late 2013 13" rMBP i5 2.6 GHz so wondering how the switch will feel.

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

So where exactly did most of these users come from?

14. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

There are definitely people I would call fanboys on MR but but I wouldn't dismiss everyones opinion because the machine everyone expected to underperform is doing well for it's targeted market. That's just my opinion based on what I've read from users reviews. I don't have mine yet.

Of course it's not without it's issues. Just check the thread list and you'll see some users mentioning screen issues, laptop checking for wifi and remaining connected even with Power Nap off, setup issues etc.

15. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I'd never develop an app on a 12'' display, no way.
    I do own a 11'' Air but when I use it for development on xcode I connect a 23'' monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
    Even with a retina display and the ability to select 1400x900 a 12'' is very inconvenient for developing apps and even for web development.
    Of course I could buy the new MB and connect it to an external monitor to develop, but I need the adapter to be able to charge and connect the monitor at the same time. An Air or MBP would be a better choice.

And this MB is born to be a portable machine, you are not supposed to run heavy tasks on that machine so I think the basic CPU is the best choice.
    If you really need more performances maybe the Macbook isn't the right laptop for you.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If your main concern is having to use an adapter, why are you worried? Just leave the adapter connected to your display which isn't going to be moving around anyway.

Not saying you should buy the device, just that having to use an adapter for a desktop display isn't that inconvenient.

17. newellj macrumors 603

So we're going to trust what are in most cases quick looks by people who don't actually put the computer to use in the real world, but instead run some benchmarks that really tell us nothing except how the benchmarks ran, and disregard posts from people who are actually working with the machine in daily life? There are quite a few posts and threads here from actual owners discussing their experiences with everything from coding to photo/video editing to office apps to web browsing and video replay. Some are happy, some are not. Labeling these as "fanboy dripple" - especially when you haven't owned one yourself - is straight from The Land of the Trolls.

18. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I am swamped, just to a big promotion and we will be relocating.

That said, I have informed the wife I will be unavailable the evening of the 29th!

I got you covered! I'll do a full review after I get it set up and running.

I am going to just to a restore from backup from my current rMBP. Parallels running 8.1 Photoshop CS suite and a work program that makes even my maxed out 13" cry! :D

19. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Congrats on the promotion!

20. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

I'm confused. Proper reviews *ARE* "fanboy dripple" I haven't read a review IN YEARS that wasn't more or less biased by the reviewer's personal preference. [or a thinly disguised paid review]

As to what point the 1.3 is "worth it". . probably in gen 2.0 or 3.0. You're not going to see a huge real world gain from moving around a few hundred Mhz. It's not going to suddenly perform like an overclocked hyper threaded 8 core desktop. It's a general use machine, and that's about it.

21. ct1211 macrumors 6502

You're probably right. In my case, I work in the electronics industry and for many years I knew I was buying Windows based computers and such at ridiculously low margins because of competition etc. Apple was a company I would not waste my time or money on. I think OSX TO ME is a confusing mess and I've been trying to acclimate to it for several years. It was the form factor and (by 2011) acceptable performance of the MBA that brought me to Apple. When I dump my VM and other software on the 1.3 I expect it to choke in a few scenarios. However, given that this little squirt is cool looking and will fit in the ever shrinking space I get on an airplane, if it can mostly handle what I do day to day, I will sell my 1 month old 2015 13" rMBP - keep the MaciPad and get a desktop for work. You read me right my 13" does not fit in a Delta Airlines 2015 economy seatback tray table. (Neither do my knees) A 1.3 may offer a little more headroom for my tasks. I expect no miracles. I will tell you in advance that low travel keyboard seems made for my crappy typing skills as well. If any fanatical fanboys read this, I'm sure to get ripped with how much better OSX is than Windows etc. Frankly, I think Microsoft may have a hit on its hands with Windows 10 from what I've heard. :eek:

22. newellj macrumors 603

Actually, 8.1 already is great, but it's saddled with the early and deserved poor reputation of 8.0. Anyway...I have been using the rMB on the Boston metro commuter rail, which has seats even tighter than an airplane (!!!), and I can confirm that there is actually a meaningful difference between the 13.3" and 12" machines in terms of being able to open them up to a useful viewing angle.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

I have the 2.4GHz late-2013 13" rMBP and just switched over to the 1.2GHz rMB. I can definitely notice a difference in certain tasks (particularly running a virtual machine, which I don't do often), but for browsing, Office 2016, Mail, etc. the difference is barely noticeable, and the design more than makes up for it to me.

24. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

At what point is the Macbook 1.3 Ghz configuration worth it?

That's great to hear thanks for letting me know. The only intensive tasks I do are gaming and I might just use my rMBP for that if League of Legends and Hearthstone don't run as well as I'd like on it. I used to use a 3 year old 11" MBA for both of those and they worked fine so hopefully the rMB can handle them too.

25. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

I assume anyone that has a positive impression of the rMB is a "fanboy", by your definition.

Reminiscent of the Salem Witch Trials, of course. Only those who don't like the machine have valid opinions.