At Wits End with Late '13 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tock172, May 26, 2015.

1. tock172 macrumors newbie

My 13" Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina has been great since I purchased it in October of 2013. Unfortunately over last few months, I noticed some peculiar problems which prompted me to take the computer to the Genius for service under the AppleCare warranty.

Problems:
    • Random Restart During Login/Bootup
    • Forgetting Wallpaper and Defaulting back to Original Image

I took my MacBook Pro to my local Apple Store on 5/12 and the following parts were replaced:
    • Logic Board

When the computer was returned to me, I noticed a dent that was caused during the repair process and filed a complaint. Apple took the computer back and replaced the following:

• Display Assembly
    • Housing, Top Case w/Battery
    • Housing, Bottom Case

Upon receiving the computer, I attempted to transfer my old documents and data back using Migration assistant. The first two times, Migration assistant copied my system settings and other data back to the computer that I had specifically chosen to exclud as I wanted to start fresh with a clean slate.

Now, nearly two weeks after initially bringing the computer in for service, I am experiencing the EXACT SAME ISSUES. The computer will intermittently and randomly restart during boot up/login and the computer never seems to remember what wallpaper I select. I can choose a different wallpaper, but whenever the computer restarts, the default version is shown behind the login screen.

Can anyone give me any ideas? I have been without the computer for nearly two weeks and all my work has ground to a halt thanks to this. In addition, my iPhone and iPad are both in need of a restore, but I can't attempt this without my main MacBook.

Any and all input is appreciated before I huck the computer into the ocean and buy a brand new MacBook.

2. Frost17 macrumors regular

Is it back at the Genius Bar for service? Also, setup the Mac as new and don't transfer any user related data (system settings, preferences) and transfer all of your documents manually to avoid it being a software issue.

You can have them restore both of your devices for you too, that won't take long.

3. tock172 thread starter macrumors newbie

The MacBook is currently with me. I have a genius bar appointment on Thursday.

Can you elaborate on 'manually' transferring my documents?

Just to be clear, I have actually reformatted the SSD 3 times, using recovery mode. I then use internet recovery to reinstall Mac OS to start from scratch. The most recent time, once I fully updated to OS 10.10, I transferred my documents by entering Time Machine, manually selecting the folders I want and hitting restore. Is there a better way?

And while it's awesome that Apple can restore my devices, I won't be able to transfer my important things back to my liking without first having my MacBook set up correctly :(

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sounds like some of the settings that may have been causing the issue in the first place got copied over (I know that wasn't your goal).

Just as a force of habit, have you tried a NVRAM reset?

Hold down Option, Command, P, R at startup until it restarts. Clears up a whole host of random issues now and again.

5. tock172 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm guessing the same thing, but after 3 reformats and trying to copy each folder manually, the issue is still persisting. WTF!?

The NVRAM reset is usually one of my go-to trouble shooting methods. Unfortunately it has no impact on my issues. Apple has just been throwing parts at this and something still isn't right.

6. tock172 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I was able to sort the issue out without having to bring the computer to the Genius Bar again.

Something was being transferred over whenever I would use Migration Assistant or Time Machine to move anything more than a single application (Aperture) and anything more than the basic documents like photos, movies, etc.

All is well now. It was a mysterious software issue the entire time that was solved by a simple fresh start. Oh well, I got a brand new logic board, battery, keyboard, screen and aluminum case for the computer out of it. Can't complain!