At Work, what's going on around you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Apples n' Stone, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

You are evidently very busy at work right now, but then again the forum takes priority doesn't it? So what are people doing around you right now? I just have someone listening to dubstep (random sounds)...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3 to 4 days out of the week, I work from home, so I have no one beside me.

Today, I'm in the office and as of now, there's no one else there. When they do trickle in people mostly stay in their cubicle and work as I do.

3. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Odd isn't it, wonder if eventually we are all going to be working at home uploading etc.

4. page404 macrumors regular

page404

That would be interesting. The technology is already there, now we wait for the managers to trust us doing our work at home too.

5. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Alternatively they could just get sick of us after a while xD

6. page404 macrumors regular

page404

Well, I'm working on that ;)

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm too busy with my own stuff to worry about what anyone else is doing. There are advantages to being in education and having a large workspace to yourself. My only current concern with anyone else is that I get our Parent Organizer moved to a space where she is visible and will interact with parents, and that my teachers turn in their parent contact logs.

8. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Yea are a busy forum...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think so. I miss out on a number of things, I think something is to be said with working with people face to face vs. remotely. I'm not a people person - incredibly introverted, even so I notice a difference in my productivity when I'm home vs. in the office.

10. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

In which direction? More productive at home or at the office?

11. Evad3, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

Lately I've been working in an empty office as my HQ has been moving around, so I'm based here for a few months. It's nice not having anyone talking/moaning/typing, I can just relax with music and comfortable clothing... I find I am alot more productive in this environment.

12. Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

I think that's very much the case - I know within the organisation I work they have been trying to get homeworkers into HQ locations. I think it's a mix of trust issues and having fixed opperational locations in order to manage the teams easier.

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

It's an open office, laid out so most of us are backed to a wall or window, so can't really tell unless I'm standing beside them.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Do you mean by 'face to face' in the same room, or same building?

As an introvert, personally, I have always preferred having my own office. When writing, or thinking, or putting stuff together, I need space, and silence, and solitude. (Silence means silence from human interactions - not music).

However, the idea of a common space, coffee shops, small seminar rooms, water-coolers, or a series of relaxing spots where people can interact freely, can be very useful, and there are matters that are best dealt with face-to-face rather than by phone or email or text.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The office layout is such that most of us are in cubicles, one person per cubicle. What I find an issue is the inability to walk over to a person's cubicle and ask a question.

For instance a new developer was having issues with setting up a new interface. I was trying to convey how best to attack the problem. IM, emails and even a phone call really didnt help much. Going over there and explaining things did how ever.

16. Scepticalscribe, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I'm a big fan of the idea of a flying visit into someone else's office to discuss or clarify something.

It's their 'home ground' so they tend to be a lot more relaxed (even if their position is subordinate to mine), and one can be polite and apologetic for the intrusion and for taking up their time; almost invariably, business is pleasantly and quite quickly concluded, perspectives exchanged (and - because of privacy) people can be even more open than they might otherwise feel able to be, especially if you are the visitor.

17. hulksmashsexy macrumors newbie

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I post here during my lunch break. There is another person nearby who plays sports talk radio all day, and goes to very loud web sites during lunch, sometimes without turning off/down the radio. Other people are in and out of the room all the time.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Can they not use headphones, so that while they can continue to listen to the radio (or other source of music or commentary), others are spared the joys of the sound of an overloud radio?

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It's 86 degrees outside, and it's 80 degrees inside. The a/c (which normally keeps my room cold enough to hang meat) is out, and has been so since Monday. The kids will come in soon and inform me that it's hot, like I didn't know it already. Ugh!

21. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Family business, owner's son. Nuff said.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, crass nepotism at its best allowing said offspring to behave in an entitled manner. Oh, dear.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Sitting alone in a control room, making sure commercial breaks air for MSNBC's global citizen festival. too much talk, not enough music.

24. olup macrumors 6502

Good call, some things are better dealt with in a face to face conversation than email or phone.

Came across this podcast episode/interview some time ago that deals with different types of working environments(white collar mostly) and how things came to be the way they are now.

There are a few Office Space references in there

https://soundcloud.com/this-is-hell/817nikilsaval

25. samiwas macrumors 65816

I generally hang out at my lighting control station, but sometimes get up to go get a snack or just to walk around for a bit. Everyone else is doing all of their various jobs involved in getting a TV show produced. Electricians are moving and focusing lights. Camera people are setting up their shots. Probably 75 people milling around set, some running around, some hanging out. It's fun!