AT3 remote controlling AT4 - Can this be prevented?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by seadragon, Nov 1, 2015.

1. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Hi all,

For various reasons, I'd like to run both my AT3 and AT4 in the same room so that I can use either one. Does anyone know if it's possible to block the AT3 remote from controlling the AT4? Currently, the AT3 remote affects both units. The AT4 Siri remote however does not affect the AT3.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

The only idea I saw elsewhere was to cover the IR sensor on the ATV4 with black tape. The Siri remote uses Bluetooth, so it won't care.

As far as I've seen, no programmatic way to exclude the old remotes like you could on the ATV3 by pairing one of them to a unit.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If you don't want to use both remote controls on the new ATV just pair The old RC to ATV3.

4. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Thanks for you replies so far. I did pair the AT3 remote with the AT3 under Remotes:pairing. However, this pairing feature does not exist on the AT4. The end result so far is:

Siri remote controls only the AT4.
    AT3 remote controls both AT3 and AT4.

5. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Pairing does nothing to the ATV4. It's a method to lock a ATV3 remote to one ATV3.

6. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

So, bottom line, I believe the only answer to using an 'Apple Remote' (the legal name for the ATV2/3 White/Silver remote) is to put tape over the IR receiver on the front of the ATV4 (next to where the white LED is).

If it's not clear from that support article, the 'Apple TV Remote' is the name for the Siri remote (ATV4) in countries that don't support Siri.

7. Peepo, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

Peepo macrumors 6502a

Press menu and select (centre button) on atv3 remote for 10 seconds. After that see if it still works. It should not - because this increments the id. Then re-pair in AppleTV 3 (may have to unpair first)

Make sure you have all other devices nearby turned off during this like other AppleTV and MacBooks etc which may work with remote.

8. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Thanks... I just tried the menu and select button for 10 seconds, but that appears to un-pair the AT3 remote from the AT3. Then when I re-pair to AT3, it still controls both AT3 and AT4 at the same time.

Here's what I'm really trying to accomplish...

AT4 controlled by AT4 remote (without affecting AT3)
    AT3 controlled by AT3 remote (without affecting AT4)
    Logitech Harmony Ultimate to control either AT3 or AT4 depending on what I have selected in Harmony.

I need the IR port on the AT4 since the Harmony seems to use IR to communicate with the AT4.

End goal is to be able to use either the AT3 or AT4 using their respective remotes without affecting the other unit. So far, the AT3 remote is controlling both AT3 and AT4 at the same time. The Harmony Ultimate is also controlling both at the same time. I'd like to separate them if possible.

I really appreciate all the ideas guys! Thanks.

9. normanfox macrumors 6502a

you have two options:
    1) use universal remote with RF that can send RF command to specific blaster (converted to IR) which can be attached directly to TV IR receiver. this option is expensive
    2) or just cover AVT 4 IR receiver in front with electrical tap. AVT 4 remote don't need this to work since it is bluetooth.