ATA to USB cable for 2.5" HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexbates, May 1, 2009.

1. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

About a week ago, I ordered an ATA to USB cable for my old internal HD that was in my MBP. I was hoping to turn my old internal into an external for something like Time Machine.

When I got it, I tried to hook it up... and of course it doesn't fit (you can see on the attached pic). Quoted from the OWC site where I bought it: "Compatible with any 2.5" IDE device!" Well, my HD is a 2.5" ATA and what do you know, not compatible.

Did I buy the wrong thing? If so, what should I be buying?

Heres a link of where I bought it from: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/USB2PATA25/

Attached Files:

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

No, you haven't bought the wrong thing (I have one almost identical).

From the photos, esp Pic 2, unless I'm seeing things, you're trying to use the SATA side of the adaptor. On Pic 2 you can see the lettering SATA, whereas on the other side of the adaptor is IDE - which is ATA. Confusing to the uninitiated, but ATA=IDE. Try that and see how you get on.

3. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

The other side also has the pins but is just longer and has larger pins. Heres a screenshot (other side of the pic I posted above).

Luckily, when I replaced my internal, I took some pics. It looks like the drive connector inside my MBP is different than both sides of the adapter I bought. Do you have any idea what it is?

Attached Files:

4. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have that Universal Drive Adapter. It's really a maintenance tool (and I use mine quite frequently. It'll work, but I think you'd be better off with a bona-fide enclosure. I have one of these and it's been great. It is bus powered by firewire so you only have a single cable between your MBP and the enclosure. Well built, too.

6. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Thanks, thats probably what I should order. The aluminum frame looks like it would have a lot more protection than just having it without any case at all.

7. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Re the second of the extra pics you've posted, is that the original connector from inside the MBP (ie. not the adaptor)? I note it has 40 open sockets, whereas there are only 39 pins on ATA connections, but that shouldn't make any difference. I can't determine from the other additional pic what the pin array of the connector is.

The ATA connector, be it original or adaptor, can only fit one way on to the pins at the rear of the drive. That is determined by the positioning lug, which helps avoid bending pins when pushing on the connector.

8. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Not according to the label on the very first picture. Could the OP repost that pic with the drive positioned for easier reading of the details.

Even if the drive is SATA, the adaptor the OP has bought should fit. The adaptor is double-sided. Are there some bent pins on the drive?

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It is clearly a SATA drive by the photos. In addition "my old MacBook Pro hard drive" also means it's a SATA drive. Intel Macs have only shipped with SATA drives because the Intel (and now nVidia) chipsets had SATA controllers.

Did you look at the link he provided? One side is 40-pin (3.5" PATA drives) and the other is 44-pin (2.5" PATA drives).